Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Lambert, .... fell in love with the dark and sinister 2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL1200N Nightster"

There's the problem right there... People with such horrible eyesight on motorcycles! :)

All kidding aside, this is a VERY GOOD THING; Not just 100,000 new riders but 100,000 new riders with proper training! Excellent!!

Bikervince

·
Registered
47 Posts
How about the fact that the new MSF BRC is a joke and doesn't teach anything other than "This is the gas, it makes you go. This is the clutch, is makes you start going. This is the brakes, it makes you stop going." Seriously, unless they are taking a "Street Riding Skills" class rather than a "Parking lot Maneuvers" class, it really doesn't make a difference other than putting more confidence in bad drivers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah, c'mon -- you know that there is no such a thing as a "perfect" training program. Do you expect grade school graduates to be ready to perform vascular surgery or run General Electric?

The BRC is designed to show untrained new riders good basic techniques, not high-skill performance; a starting place, not the pinnacle of performance art. From there on, practice must take over.

How would you teach new riders to cope with heavy traffic, if you were in charge? That is, without killing them or anyone else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's still better than self-training, which is how I started. Luckily I've taken a number of courses since and learned a lot, every time - even in "basic" courses.

Should a basic course be the only training you take? Of course not. But it's a good base to start from, and since they are typically enjoyable, encourages you to take more advanced courses later.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Because anything that has to do with Harley-Davidson is a bad thing. They are an evil corporation bent on selling inferior motorcycles for superior profits. Haven't you been paying attention?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
"Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the only major U.S.-based motorcycle manufacturer"

Evidently Victory isn't considered a major US-based motorcycle manufacturer.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
LOL classic kjester.. Thanks..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I commend Harley. Great Job! This is an example of a company be out front on a issue.

[*] The AMA should follow this lead and propose mandatory helmet laws, a tiered licensing system, mandatory rider education and frequent rider testing...

Now if HD could just put a proper engine in the Buell Firebolt I would become a customer.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I'm beginning to see your point about tiered licensing. I was smart enough to buy a 400 and ride that for twelve years before moving up to a 600, and I've never crashed. But some clowns will go out and buy a 600 Supersport as their first bike, crash it, and raise insurance rates for the rest of us responsible riders. So, tiered licensing wouldn't have affected me, since I was already doing the responsible thing anyway, but it might have kept that moron from making riding more expensive for me or, better yet, kept that dipshyt from riding altogether since he would be barred from owning the "best" motorcycle right out of the gate.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
You nailed it..seriously.. Good job.. Looking back a used 500 Ninja would have been the way to go.. serazawa was right on that..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Another thing Harley was out front on

HD Buell used have a program where new riders could buy a Blast and get a break when they traded up to a bigger bike..

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.