Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: Another thing Harley was out front on

I read it years ago, didn't seem too commie to me, more like a 'brave new world' type story about subjugation of women and the rise of a Christian dictatorship in America.

In other words a feminist, anti-religious book.

Ok, ok, a commie book. I'd go buy one but I'm busy making lots and lots and lots of soap.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Which incidentally is also a commie book.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Good book too; commie books frequently make good reads. You can read Atlas Shrugged so many times.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

·
Registered
11,491 Posts

Yeah, those Marx brothers were a riot...........

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
At least you'll arrive in "Style".

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
The local MSF Instructors (Bob Croddy and his Daughter) "switched" from giving classes at the local College and are now giving them at the new Harley Dealer. It had to be all kinds of tempting to go, as Harley built a dedicated course JUST for Bob, supplied him with about 10 new Blast!s, and roughly doubled the fee: of which I'd say he's getting a bigger "cut" than the $130/student he got before, PLUS having to pay for gas, oil, lot-rent, etc. out of those fees.

I happen to know that he was "struggling" before, and did it only out of love for the sport - and was about to quit, leaving this area absolutely vacant of MSF Instructors.

It's almost a given that Harley is not pocketing the Lion's Share of these fees, most of it is going to the Instructors and back into the program.

This is not a bad thing, people!

$300 is not all that much nowadays! I believe that Harley is genuinely concerned with the future of Motorcycling, and has done something Constructive here!

I didn't believe so at first, but am now convinced of it.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Nice troll :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
That's it, I'm donating. Where's my checkbook?

Memo __Re: Beginner's Assless Chaps Fund___

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

You know those bogus studies that say women earn 77% of what men do?

If that's true, they're overpaid.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Actually, I thought the RC51 WAS a clone of the Ducati Superbike...........

(i.e. a "if you can't beat 'em, spend lots of money to have them beaten" kind of clone)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cheating?

I didn't make any such accusation nor did I mean to imply that connotation. H-D doesn't need my blessing to make as much money as they can in any legal way that they can.

My comments were in response to the altrusim that dripped from the P R release.

Around here, the couple of small companies that provide very similar beginner training courses charge - on average - $100 less for what appears to be the same curricula while providing Honda Rebels as training vehicles.

I agree that all manufacturers should and could do more to grow our sport, training and education being key issues here.

Nevertheless, I'll stand behind my prior questions.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Cost of Rider's Edge

You stated that Rider's Edge costs $300. Here is a quote from the H-D website:

"The cost of the New Rider Course is determined by each participating dealership, and ranges anywhere from $195 to $350. Remember, the price includes the use of a Buell® Blast® motorcycle for class riding sessions. So check with the dealership of your choice."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: Cost of Rider's Edge

Thanks.

I was aware that the dealerships have considerable leeway in setting prices. About three months ago a buddy who wanted to become a new rider asked me recommend a school for him.

Here's what I found within a roughly 100 mile radius:

Dealer A: $300

Dealer B: $325

Dealer C: *see below

Company D: $195

Company E: $210

*Dealer C did not directly quote a cost. The applicant apparently could reserve a spot in an up-coming class and then could visit with the dealer to complete the enrollment process. There was no reason for me to follow up on that option.

My friend went with company "E", has completed the course, and bought a used 650 as his first bike.

If it ever stops raining around here, he's promised to show me some of the things that he was taught in school if I share a little info I may have gleaned over the past 40-odd years of riding experience.

I consider that to be a very fair exchange. Attending a school myself would be a better option, but this will have to do, for now.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts