Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding in this morning on the ol' Bandito Grande` and I spied a fellow rider in the H.O.V. lane a 1/2 mile or so ahead. What was remarkable about this was that I saw him at all, it was still half light, the sun not really up yet and this guy was dressed totally in black. After a while another rider came in between us as I closed the gap, this guy also dam* near invisible in a flat black helmet, black leather jacket and chaps, black bike, black leather saddlebags. The only thing you could really see was a tail light and a smudge against the background.

Now far be it from me to tell someone how to dress and I go to the other extreme myself with my hi vz suit, reflecters out the ass and turn arrows on my helmet but I think it's a little incongruous to b*tch about "f'n cagers cut me off man!!!!" when you're dressed like Johnny Cash.....

At least wear something bright for commuting instead of relying on your drag pipes to save your life, you can take it off after the sun comes up if you have to.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah we do

I guess you guys don't have to have your lights on in your neck of the woods?
but everyone else has their lights on too, it's easy to miss a relitivly small motorcycle tail light against a freeway full of othet tail lights

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It's even better when they replace the 1157 bulb in the taillight with one of those cheesy little LED units.

Looks like some tiny dude with a crappy flashlight is trying to find his way out. The brake light isn't as bright as the bulb, either.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Well, having been a firefighter and having the distinct pleasure of having a car smash into a fire truck I was in no less than three times in my career,(they never saw us) I can say that that suit you are wearing ain't going to do much in that regard. The problem stems from not paying attention. Cell phone use, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper and stirring your latte' all at once while driving tends to take your attention off the road a tad. I will say that if you are unfortunate enough to get crunched, the suit will make you easier to locate you in the weeds! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know a lot about not-to-bright bulbs, too. Being one, that is.

I was down in Roswell, NM visiting their museum about [cue startling music] The Incident. While I was there, enjoying- savoring- my sample of visual cheese from their displays I overheard an interesting conversation.

It was between true believers, and they were discussing how most people simply don't detect the Alien craft in their midst because they don't expect to see it. Their brains aren't wired to expect an Alien spacecraft hovering over their shoulders. They certainly don't expect ye old probing that probably follows, let me assure you! Whoa there, ease up on that probe Mr. Zeta Reticulan!

Bottom line? Longride's fire truck was struck by people who "didn't see them". You should be equally concerned about the things people DO supposedly see when they are driving around.

As for hi-viz, I think Sarnali is just bragging up his ability to date women AND wear hi-viz. Talk about a 1%er...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah well....

As for hi-viz, I think Sarnali is just bragging up his ability to date women AND wear hi-viz. Talk about a 1%er...
It's the whole phallus thing, I look like a long fat banana....it get's 'em thinkin' know what I mean (wink wink nudge nudge)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
He's got something there. Ever seen a woman in a hi-viz 'Stich? We know we'll never get dates if we wear hi-viz! :D

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
He's got something there. Ever seen a woman in a hi-viz 'Stich? We know we'll never get dates if we wear hi-viz! :D
They don't market day-glo hi-viz pink, yet? Call Tourmaster today and ask for marketing. Bet you can get a cool suit within 6 wks.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Hi Viz is getting pretty grimy after 3 Seattle winters, I still think it shows up better than dull colors though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.