Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only education needed is a trip to the morgue and seeing a head split wide open

after an accident without a helmet. I don't want to hear any lame excuses about a

helmet only being effective up to 20 mph BLAH BLAH it's my right BLAH BLAH. Bike

racers survive crashes of over 150 mph so just use some common sense before we

all lose our right to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Education reduces fatally idiotic antics? That's a shock. Some learning time in a parking lot with a certified instructor on a tame bike just seems to make a lot of sense.

I think the 'throttle, brake, clutch, go work on it in traffic' education is simply beyond ludicrous. Everytime there's a motorcycle fatality in the surrounding area you can hear the town whisper about how dangerous motorcycles are. Let alone the fact that Charlie was running about 180kph in a construction zone. Charlie was dangerous, his motorcycle was the victim of his stupidity.

Now if someone would start educating cagers about the dangers they pose, the world could be that much better.

Just my $0.02

Regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
The article stated :

Participants pay $25 and receive four hours of classroom instruction and 12 hours of training on a motorcycle in a parking lot.

FYI:

The CHP approved program in California is called California Motorcycle Training(1-800-CC-RIDER). It is basically the MSF motorcycle rider course:riding and street skills (MRC:RSS) with a few minor changes required by the CHP. It requires 8 hours of classroom and 16 hours of riding instruction on the range(parking lot) and passing a written knowledge test and a riding skills evaluation. However its cost is about $200, helmets and motorcycles provided. Since this program has been in place motorcyle accidents in CA have decreased by about 73%.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ohio has the right idea: education is key. There's no question that helmet use decreases your chance of head injury *once an accident occurs*. The point is to avoid accidents in the first place.

That said, I realize a small percentage of accidents are unavoidable. Those of us who like to be prepared for what is beyond our control wear helmets. But to *require* helmet use for everyone? That is very un-American.

Now before people start flaming I'll relate what I wrote to Senator Hurt: There are an infinite number of laws we could enact which would save society money and *protect us from ourselves*. But at what cost to personal liberty? That is not the America that I hold dear; nor the one that the founders of this country fought and died to protect. They sought to forever protect our freedoms with the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. Sadly many of those rights have been slowly eroded over many years, and at an increasing pace in recent ones.

The simple truth is that the government *can not* protect us from everything; nor should it try. Ultimately we are responsible for our own actions as well as our own safety.

I always wear a full-face, DOT SNELL approved helmet, but that is my choice alone to make. Seeking to impose my values and judgements on another would be un-American and anti-constitutional. I don't believe that anyone who enjoys motorcycling, and the amazing sense of *freedom* that goes with it, would ever seek to do so.

Ride on, and hopefully, ride free.....

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
interesting that Ohio doesn't require helmets, but does require training, and their fatalities are way below the national average . That shows accident prevention is key, somewhat obvious but thats what the politicos understand, helmets come into play after the fact, I think it's commen sense to wear a helmet, just to keep bugs, rocks and rain out of your face, not to mention keeping your brain inside your head if you do crash, It looks like Ohio is making an effort at least. Rider training is key.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What? A thoughtful, logical response to the rise in motorcycle related accidents/deaths? AND from OHIO?!

Seriously, my daughter did a report for a highschool class on motorcycle saftey and found that a majority of fatalities with in the 1st 6 mos-1yr of riding were people who were self-taught.

We need more rational, practical solutions and less hand wringing. Ohio, (thought I'd never say this...), I solute you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
We actually have about 9 months of riding here, depending on one's cold tolerance. It was 55 yesterday, so I was out getting my riding fix. I took the course here about ten years ago, when it was an MSF run course. I don't know if there have been any changes made since it became an ODOT program.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think this is a requirement, but an option (and wise one) for new riders or for others who want a refresher. It also probably gives a small discount on insurance. I think the motorcycle endorsement test and insurance are all that is mandatory in OH, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How about a 1% tax on bike purchases to go

toward state run hands on training, followed by a strict exam emphasizing defensive riding.

Then those that pass the exam get a 5 % insurance deduction. Also permit private instruction of the training program but standardize it for each state. Make it manditory for all motorcyclist every 5 years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The course is not required. Only last year, a law was passed which allowed passing this MSF class (or MSF-style, at least) to take the place of the riding portion of the motorcycle endorsement process. I'm self-taught, but I want to take this just to see what I've missed.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: New Mexicans Arise!

I sent a love letter to the wonderful Mr. Hurt. his reply was short and sweet. I think I got my point across to him. Hopefully the moron will think twice before coming up with moronic laws for law abiding people.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: New Mexicans Arise!

If he does that'll be the first time one of these neo-fascists ever has. They just never seem to quit.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Dr Hurt Bows to Pressure

Looks like the pressure from motorcyclists (AMA, MOrons and others) has paid off. Following from the AMA:

NEW MEXICO SENATOR BOWS TO PRESSURE FROM MOTORCYCLISTS, WITHDRAWS OUTRAGEOUS LEGISLATION

PICKERINGTON, OHIO -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has announced that New Mexico state Sen. Allen Hurt (R-Waterflow) has informed the AMA that he will withdraw Senate Bill 239, which could have forced some motorcyclists to become organ donors.

AMA leadership learned of Sen. Hurt’s intentions this afternoon in a message which read, in part: "You win ... I’m pulling New Mexico SB 239." Late last Thursday, the AMA had expressed its outrage at SB 239, which, if it had passed, would have allowed the harvesting of organs from any motorcyclist who didn't wear a helmet and was declared brain dead as a result of an accident.

"This victory demonstrates how powerful our voice can be when American motorcyclists speak together," said Sean Maher, AMA Director of State Affairs. "When New Mexico state officials received more than 1,100 e-mails opposing SB 239, they got the message, and Sen. Hurt acted quickly to withdraw his proposal."

The AMA organized opposition to the bill, urging motorcyclists to use the AMA Rapid Response Center -- part of the Association’s website, AMADirectlink.com -- to send a message to Hurt and the New Mexico Legislature’s leadership.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.