Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow.

If I ever get stationed in Europe, guess where you'll find me on the weekends!

Very well written. Thank you for this.

Wow.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Nice writeup. I was stationed in Germany for 8 years, and have a lot of good riding memeories.

BTW, "Frei" in that context means "Vacant", referring to the bed. It's not free. You still have to pay.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
As I get ready to put my trusty steed to bed for the winter, this article sure provided me with some great adventures to ponder for the new year. Thanks for the early Christmas present.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great article Fred! My wife and I took a Beach tour in May. It is everything you say it is. We took the Alpine East tour. We are now saving our pennies to go back.

My wife rode a 650GS and I rode a 1200GS.

It is probably the only vacation that we truely forgot about everything back home. It is also the only one that the experience far exceeds the anticipatation of the trip.

Larry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks to you American taxpayers the Alps are just a 4 hr jaunt south (Stationed at Landstuhl). I have done the Alps on my K12RS and my 1150GS and it is a no brainer the GS all the way.

An ST may be a bit of a handful but much better than my K12. I think a supermoto (KTM) would be the perfect bike or perhaps a BMW HP2.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Cool story. As a Colorado native I was skeptical at first but I can see how building a road for modern semi tractor-trailers could limit the twistiness of passes in the Rockies. The Washington Cascades has some nice roads as well... Great pictures.. Sounds like a fun vacation. Thanks Fred.....

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well that was the nail in the Buells coffin for me. It looks like the European delivery program for a new GS Adventure is in order and a tour once they come out. Now where is my penny jar...?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Sold. So many great rides out there. Wish I'd taken advantage of the Alps when I was stationed in Germany, running through tankfulls WFO on a Yamaha 750 Triple on the Autobahn was all I had the imagination for back then. Thanks again Fred.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are are bikers there almost everyday but the weekends it is a zoo. After Oct they open up the closed to motorcycle roads (Germans plate bikes from April-Oct). Last Sunday me and a few mates did a run down down to the Gasthaus at JK. Too bad it's dark at 1700 now. Another reason to take the GS as it has the Touratech HID.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Motorcycle Journalists

Fred's renown may be at issue, but the status of my renewal to MO is not: you folks have just earned another year's fee. I don't spend any time at the newsstand these days, let alone comparing mags- but I'm sure that I can't get this quality and this mixture of topics anywhere else. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.