Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Wow.

If I ever get stationed in Europe, guess where you'll find me on the weekends!

Very well written. Thank you for this.

Wow.

· Registered
3,874 Posts
Nice writeup. I was stationed in Germany for 8 years, and have a lot of good riding memeories.

BTW, "Frei" in that context means "Vacant", referring to the bed. It's not free. You still have to pay.

· Registered
1 Posts
Great article Fred! My wife and I took a Beach tour in May. It is everything you say it is. We took the Alpine East tour. We are now saving our pennies to go back.

My wife rode a 650GS and I rode a 1200GS.

It is probably the only vacation that we truely forgot about everything back home. It is also the only one that the experience far exceeds the anticipatation of the trip.

Larry

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks to you American taxpayers the Alps are just a 4 hr jaunt south (Stationed at Landstuhl). I have done the Alps on my K12RS and my 1150GS and it is a no brainer the GS all the way.

An ST may be a bit of a handful but much better than my K12. I think a supermoto (KTM) would be the perfect bike or perhaps a BMW HP2.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
Cool story. As a Colorado native I was skeptical at first but I can see how building a road for modern semi tractor-trailers could limit the twistiness of passes in the Rockies. The Washington Cascades has some nice roads as well... Great pictures.. Sounds like a fun vacation. Thanks Fred.....

· Registered
1,229 Posts
Sold. So many great rides out there. Wish I'd taken advantage of the Alps when I was stationed in Germany, running through tankfulls WFO on a Yamaha 750 Triple on the Autobahn was all I had the imagination for back then. Thanks again Fred.

· Registered
27 Posts
There are are bikers there almost everyday but the weekends it is a zoo. After Oct they open up the closed to motorcycle roads (Germans plate bikes from April-Oct). Last Sunday me and a few mates did a run down down to the Gasthaus at JK. Too bad it's dark at 1700 now. Another reason to take the GS as it has the Touratech HID.

· Registered
328 Posts
Re: Motorcycle Journalists

Fred's renown may be at issue, but the status of my renewal to MO is not: you folks have just earned another year's fee. I don't spend any time at the newsstand these days, let alone comparing mags- but I'm sure that I can't get this quality and this mixture of topics anywhere else. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.