Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 261 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Engine sound is part of what many enjoy about their bikes when they ride. I like a louder than stock exhaust on my bikes--Vance & Hines Big Shots on my Fat Boy, Triumph TORS on my Triumph Thruxton, and Akrapovic slip ons on my R1. All are louder than stock and could annoy if I revved my bike at every stop or when I was leaving the driveway.

To me, the answer is what I hope most do when they ride. Leave the revving for the open road or far away from most people (ie while riding on country roads).

Revving a loud piped bike is like blowing cigarette smoke into the face of a non-smoker. Keep the noise down and drop the revs when cruising about town.

My .02

· Registered
2 Posts
Fred says they exceed the legal noise limits. So why isn't someone doing something 'bout it.

Seems the root of all this sort of stuff (loud noise on bikes, idiots doing crazy stuff in all sorts of vehicles, you name it) is 'cos of what I reckon is - No Fear of Retribution!

It happens because they can get away with it. It almost gets to the point where there's so much of it that it's almost impossible to stop it.

Not sure what we do about it though.

· Registered
530 Posts
Re: Loud Pipes Externalize Costs - Tax 'em!

I second the V-Strom 650 review... it's not called my stealth-bike for nothin'. By the time someone hears me buzzing by, I'm already way past them. As a DP bike with "quiet" pipes, on my wee strom I'm able to ride in the pavement and trails around people and animals without upsetting the moment an get some great photos. There's nothing wrong with a nice engine rumble or whine (Ducs, Guzzi's & Triumphs sound great stock, while I like the whine of some fours too), it just doesn't need to sound like an elephant stampede coming down the road.

· Registered
20 Posts
Well, I do like sound of my Superhawk with Arrows (kinda very much Ducati-like) but I am getting impression that my bike is just half as loud as average straight pipe HD.

There is something else I spotted - I never understood guys on straight pipes HDs and other cruisers blipping trottle at traffic lights and "giving it all" off lights. This is one thing that goes to 99% of HD owners. No offence, but it always leaves me with impression that their bikes not in order and will stall if they will keep it at idle or get off lights at low rpm.

I also never understood twisting wrist too much in towns - in Europe sound level is limited by law, so we all risking it with race pipes and this is not nice to draw in more attention from cops.

Actually, typical custom straighpiper noise is so bad that on one of charity rides I remember even bikers were stopping next to few idiots on some "customs" asking them to go to back of line cos everybody behind those loud guys been pissed off (including me).

I just do not see point in producing so much sound without corresponding bhp and mph.

Now about image - IMHO as Fred was affected by that situation for sake of motorcyclist image he should have walked to guys at traffic lights and politely tell them that they can at least stop opening it up until out of town center. That would stop people in restaurant going on about "SUV vs. biker" etc.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I've got a 2 brothers can on my VFR that makes a very nice sound when you wind the whee out of it, and perfectly civilized if you behave yourself in urban areas, or anywhere that winding the whee out of it is not appropriate. To conjure up that amplified goats blat that straight pipes produce in areas full of non bikers is just a pitiful cry for attention that real adults don't need.

· Registered
138 Posts
Each dB drop exactly halves the sound pressure, IIRC, so a 3dB drop is actually dropping your sound output to 1/8 the original (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2) output. Sound *perception* is another thing. Most people can't perceive a sound as having dropped in volume by 1/2 until it has dropped several decibels, so that 3dB drop may not sound too much different than the original level to most folks.

· Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Fred, I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't think that I was the only one who felt like this, but was surprised by the number of posts so far.

It’s all about look at me, with the loud pipes and the no helmet.

I have a 600cc sport bike that I put a Yoshimura exhaust on after it was about a year old. Now 11 years later, I now regret this as I think it is too loud now. I would like to go back to stock.

My newer bike I kept in stock condition. I would only be kidding myself if I thought it would make me a better rider or the bike would be better just by bolting on some aftermarket stuff.

I’ll be listening to my stock RC51 sing to me all day Sunday.

It’s not about the bike; it’s about the ride.

· Registered
78 Posts
SEE!!! Here we are agreeing already (if you read my last response to you 6-20-06). I had one next to my car about 11 years ago and you could see my coffee vibrating and forming ripples. I was getting a headache due to a long light.

I believe it still states in owner's manuals that it is a federal offense to change pipes with a $10,000 fine

· Registered
16 Posts
Fred is right on the money as usual. But I'm a little confused. I remember being ticketed for loud pipes on my Honda 90 back in the 60s. Now there doesn't seem to be any "loud pipe" fines given? And I'd like to say...the doofus that has straights are not looking for power...they are looking to get just what they get...attention. And we have to pay for that attention with bad attitude from everyone else...... Kids with toys and no supervision do strange things.

· Registered
780 Posts
"They [HD riders] are really nice folks who just happen to like to ride really loud motorcycles, and also not wear helmets."

My HD still has stock pipes and is quieter than most ricers. I also do wear a helmet.

Does that mean my HD is actually a Honda? Does that mean nobody riding rice ever goes without a helmet? Or no ricer has a loud pipe? Or does it mean you are simply just another moronic stereotyper?

41 - 60 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.