Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Anybody who is on a tight budget and has some brains does not buy new. Get a low mileage five year old standard Japanese inline-4 and it goes as long as you want it to. And probably longer.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've gotta go with the Buell too. It won't break your back on a lengthy ride, maintenance is cheap and easy, power delivery is perfect for urban riding, they're an eyecatcher and the 45+ mpg doesn't hurt either.

Or you could go with a nice generic SV650.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Actually you don't want to buy new. There are loads of 5 year old bike out there you can get cheap and most of them have less than 10K miles on them.

Examples: In 90 I bought an '81KZ750 w/8K on it. I put 50K on it. Replaced one cam chain tensioner.

In 98 I bought a 91 GSX1100G w/ 6K on it. I've got 75K on it so far. Only replaced the rear hub seal.

I recently bought a 2000 ZRX1100 for $2K. Needed a speedometer ($200). Only 14K on it.

Also picked a DR400 for $40 and had it bored, put in new piston and it runs just fine.

Another time I got a free IT175 in return for making my friend's XS650 roadworthy. Only neede a spring for the shift mechanism.

If you are really concerned about your budget keep an eye on the bike ads. Eventually a deal you'll like will show up. Used bikes are at rock bottom prices from now until next spring. I've bought new a couple of times, but you take such a bath on Japanese bikes that it's simply not worth it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
SV650 or DL650 used - can found cheap if you look around -- and plenty of aftermarket accessories to customize for your budget and taste. Solid engine, reliable performance (plus engine parts can be found anywhere) good fuel mileage and zippy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
DL650 V-Strom, KLR650, Ninja 250 or 500, SV650, or if you're comfortable doing the valve maintenance yourself, a Multistrada 620 would be a good choice too.

This is all assuming you insist on buying new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nighthawk 750, change the oil, oil the chain. Has Hydraulic Valves. I saw one the other day with 93,000 miles on it. Mine has 30000. I have toured two-up, commute 64 miles each way on it, get 44 mpg solo w/ low octane, draged pegs thru deals gap and up Sandia peak. I way 240 and am 6' 2" and the guy who has 93000 on his is like 5' 7". Its a pretty good bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.