Motorcycle Forums banner

The U.N. will Design Your Next Motorcycle

17K views 74 replies 36 participants last post by  Rob-SV650 
This is 1) a troll for a flamefest or 2) a Harley rider who is upset because his porcine machine is unable to pass a Subaru. In any event, I'd say that the value of used 100+HP bikes will escalate if the Frogs get their way with 100HP horsepower limits. Goverment officials should not be allowed to design or specify anything, government regulators are usually industrial rejects looking for cushy jobs.

Re: Boy, do you guys miss the point!!!

I don't own a gun, I'm an archery bigot but still support the right to bear arms and oppose legislation regulating gun ownership. You might ask me if I approve of Uzi's and other such pointless weapons in the hands of the public and I'd respond that my disgust with Uzi ownership is very much like the disgust others may hold towards my sportbike ownership. In either case one can ask to what possible use can either device legally put to use? (a form of polo using motorcycles to hunt mosquitoes in parking garages I guess?). The problem with all laws that limit a particular activity (however discreetly) is that the laws gradually become more and more restrictive.

As far the "war on drugs" is concerned, I think it's clear that it is a facade to protect the numerous "investors" who would stand to lose a great deal of profit should drugs be legalized. No legislation will eliminate the sale of drugs, there will always be someone willing to take the risk regardless of the penalties (assassinating Pablo Escobar did not decrease cocaine traffic, it merely shifted it to a different cartel). Drug use can only be curtailed by convincing the public to not use. It would be better to legalize and tax drugs (as is currently done with the socially acceptable drugs, alcohol and tobacco).

Re: Boy, do you guys miss the point!!!

The rub is that the folks with the cars would quite gleefully eliminate motorcycles all together so they could carry on their insane game of freeway bumper cars. Cars are so safe now that you have to FrUCtose up considerably (filter that one out Blip :cool: to actually be hurt in even a serious (vehicle damage-wise) crash so people are more frequently driving like it doesn't matter if they crash. Since bikes don't bump to well, eliminating bikes (powered or pedalled) would allow the bumper car game to continue unfettered.

To play the devils advocate, I would care if you splatter yourself because I might have to clean up the grease spots you leave or fix your broken body if you live or feed your parentless children if you die or take care of whatever in your life was left unfinished. It is a bit of dilema since on the other hand, I doubt that the majority wants to live in a padded cell. As riders we all probably have the view that the extra risk of riding is well worth taking considering how short our lives are. Not everyone holds that viewpoint. Some people want to save your ischial tuberosities no matter how sorry they think them to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.