Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool story. All in all, it was a smart move not to make this bike, as tantalizing as it might have sounded at the time. They completely side-stepped the Japanese one-upmanship game by making what they did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Not Even Yesterday's News

Yawn.... MO republishes a 2002 story on a still-born bike development program which died 25 years ago. I hate to admit it, but Kook's political posts are more interesting than this. At least he is relatively current...Completely biased, uninformed and obtuse, but still current. If MO can't rustle up a bike to test, why not do an in-depth analysis of what a Kerry Administration is likely to do on motorcycle-related issues such as regulating off-road vehicles (snowmobiles, ATVs) on Federal lands such as national parks?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I think money wise they made the right choice. It's hard to imagine Harley being anymore successful than they have been for the last 15 years.

Maybe when "The Great Motorcycle Prophylactic's" prediction of Harley innevitable tankage comes true they can dust off this guy and start selling to a new crowd of people nostalgic for V-4 Sabres, though my '84 V-65 looked better than this.

At least we know what they did with all the extra K model pipes.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: HAha!

He likes Harleys.

He doesn't like Harleys.

He likes Harleys.

He doesn't like Harleys.

He likes Harleys.

He doesn't like Harleys.

(repeat to inifinity)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would anybody really be nostalgic for a Sabre?

I don't think they would have made nearly as much money if they had had to keep dumping investment dollars into redesigning their V-4 every few years.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The engine looks like something Laverda would have come up with if they spent the night with Ducati. The rest of the bike needed some help, especially the seat. I sort of like the V-Max-like tank scoops. It's a shame Buell didn't have the engine to work with.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: The V-Four Harley You Never Saw, thankfully

Did Harley might steal a design team from behind the Iron Curtain, for this bike?

Good thing they didn't produce it, might have been the "final nail" for Harley. Ooogly.

Looks like a cross between an early 70's Laverda, and a cement mixer.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Not Even Yesterday's News

We didn't re-publish this story. One of our contributors merely provided a link to it as a news item. If it hurts too bad to read, simply stop. -Sean

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Re: The V-Four Harley You Never Saw, thankfully

Some of those cement trucks look pretty cool, the ones with the big long shute that goes over your house and pours your patio is proof of our superiority over the Godless Commies who still use wheelbarrows and sweaty Ukrainians wearing wellie boots

·
Registered
217 Posts
My prediction

My prediction is that they are talking about this now so that when they produce one in a year or two the purists will say "oh yea, they have always been thinking about making a V4".

1 - 20 of 97 Posts