Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In that same parallel universe Vespa is making a fortune selling large displacement antiquated rotary valve inline-4 motocross bikes to 18 year olds who yearn for bikes with the classic styling of the 1940's. Their spokesman is Willie B. Hannah, who won the 1941 Motocross des Galaxies on a Vespa YR1000, beating the then-unstoppable Lambretta factory effort.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sadly, the "discoverer" of the parallel universe, Dr. Steven Hawking, has abandoned his theory and now agrees that black holes, instead of swallowing all the mass they suck in and spitting it out to a parallel universe, actually release all that mass at a later time in an unrecognizable form.

This is a major blow to all those science fiction writers and fans, and also to those who would like to believe that Harley might actually be winning road races somewhere. Which would of course be science fiction even if it wasn't occurring in a parallel universe.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Re: MO just ran a cool bike review...

I have been riding a r100gs for 14 years now, and it is my all time favorite do everything motorcycle. Had a r80gs new in 82, and loved it too. I believe the cylinder gaurds from the 100 will bolt up the the 80s frame. The r80 is a marginally better off road explorer, but lacks the punch of the r100 for two up touring with lots of gear. Buy it. You'll find that you will be riding more than your other bikes after you see how versatile it is. VWW

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Yeah, I'm going to check it out. Cosmetically, the bikes kind of rough, but it's going for a good price (blown fork seals, stuff like that).

What should I be looking for? I hear the drive shaft had some problems, something about a sleeve, or joint being prone to breakage (the universal?).

I always wanted one, after seeing an ISDT BMW up-close.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

The drive shaft on the r100s have sealed universal joints that are prone to going out at inopportune times. I've found a couple of places that will refit the drive shaft with zerk fitted universals. the only thing major to look for on an r80 is the splines on the input shaft of the transmission should be lubed occasionally. If you feel that you need more power the cylinders and pistons from a r100 will slide right on to your cases. Other than the spline lube all of the other maintenance is a breeze. VWW

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
What did he ride before that, and why did he switch to the Harley?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: Well, yeah.

>At that time V4's were the Next

>Big Thing and predictions of UJM

>fours fading away were pretty

>common.

Yep. I remember reading a preview of the then-new Honda Hurricane 600. The writer was surprised it was an inline and not a V. The I-4 was supposed to be dead.

35 years after the CB750 spawned the breed, the air-cooled I-4 cookie-cutter UJM has become the

liquid-cooled I-4 cookie-cutter UJS (Universal Japanese Sportbike). Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would someone flame you for offering a judgement that seems pretty obvious?

Around 1990, Kathleen Demitros, a V-P at HD spoke at my biz school and I asked her about the Nova. Her response was not too different from what you've written: They had to make a choice between the Evo and the Nova and recognized that the Nova would alienate their base and place them in a competitive situation with the Japanese that didn't favor HD. They chose the Evo instead.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Parallel Universes for Dummies

One thing will common among these parallel relms is KPaul The Great Motorcycle Prophet. However, in the parallel universe of which you speak longride will be a pencil neck geek from Peoria who rides his BMW with milk crate. Buz will be a ex-drug addict ex-health insurance con man who becomes a priest. Buz will perfom marriages at Moto Guzzi conventions. Seruzawa will be Mormon elder with 4 wives with a passion for side car rigs. Captian KWipe will be a aide to Senator Hilliary Clinton and a member of the Sierra club. BMW will be a logic professor riding Aprilia scooters with a bright yellow bennie helmet to campus .

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yes, it is sad, isn't it? Although, I must say that my theory on parallel universes is based mostly on an old Superman cartoon episode.

I also read about Hawking's retraction recently. This, obviously, has put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for completing the time machine basket case in my garage.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Re: Talking Trash for Dummies.

Once again Kpaul, your ignorance knows no bounds.

Please go to a racing school, I think your mind may actually open up a little.

As for you on your Ninja, against any of the MOrons you listed, especially with a 1 lap start, you'll find that you just placed yourself 1 lap further down.

You just don't have the skills, or the experience on a bike to make statements like that even remotely sound credible.

So, go take afew racing schools, invest in some leathers. Prep the Ninja for tracks days, and race in one actual race. Then come back and tell us about the experience. If you actually contribute a real story out of it, you may reclaim some credibility on this site. Only some though.

I hope the best for you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Oh, This is good. Perhaps you two should read my post again. Ok, once more let's try sticking to the facts instead of making things up. Let’s see someone said:

"Oh yes. Yamaha designed that engine completely in a vacuum without regard to any previous engine development by any non-Yamaha engine designer. Yup. The Japanese originated the V-4 OHC engine. Sure. Right."

Response: Where did that come from? I said "Good thing I guess since Yamaha came along with the real deal, yep you guessed it 20 yrs, and still kicking a$$ V-Max" The "real deal" is a production model a man can put his hard earned money down on and get a real kick butt motor that works, from a company that made reliable powerplants. The difference between anything made before is real serious power and real serious reliability, That my friends is "the real deal".

Another said:

"The funniest thing about his post is that Yamaha's V-4 did not, as "common knowledge" would have you believe, originate in the V-Max. It started with the Venture, which was introduced two years earlier. The V-Max engine was a hot-rodded version of a touring engine, and not originally designed for what is is best known for doing."

Response: That is entirely correct, an already proven motor which Yamaha produced themselves and even for what is considered hot rodded the motor will go forever. Truth is the touring version is way over engineered. The real serious hot rodded V-max make over 200 BHP w/o the need for company sponsorship and hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it. Even 20+ yrs. Later ,assuming Harley could put together a V-Four @ twice the $ by themselves, would you expect it to hold up like a V-Max? Dream on!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Well, yeah.

The problem with Honda's V4s is that they were poorly designed and had loads of problems with trannies, cam shafts, etc.

The cams have bearing surfaces on only the upper half of the outboard ends. The oil to the cams first goes through the transmission. The trannies blew regularly.

Nothing wrong with the concept. Honda just did a lousy job with it.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.