Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Honda made an automatic CB900 in the 80's and I believe an A/T CM400 as well. They probably sold a good three or four of them............

If any motorcycle company builds an auto trans. it would be BMW. They seem bound and determined to turn their bikes into cars with shaft drive, linked power assisted ABS and A arm suspension. An A/T would seem to be right up their ally

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I assume you're talking about using the clutch lever.....They could set it up like a tip-tronic or auto-stick. Maybe up and lock for Drive and down and squeeze to up-shift- down and push for down shift., or up and lock for Drive and use the footshift for the auto-stick.

My wifes Hyundai has auto-stick, I don't think she uses it much, but I wring it out now and again. It'd probably be more fun in a 911

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
It is just a gimmick. The only advantage is you can hold it in each gear longer and get up into the powerband. It doesn't compare with a real 5 or 6 speed.

For the record, I'd rather have a 5spd myself. When my kids outgrow the minivan stage I'll get something interesting to drive, for now I'm stuck with something a little more prosaic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts