Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Oooooo..

With a paddle shifter on the left handgrip...

No, wait. We're talking about BMW. None of the controls will be where you'd expect.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How about a CVT?

While I am a great fan of manual transmissions (anything smaller than my Ford LTD really ought to come with one), I agree that some of the responses were quite rude, even ought-to-induce-the-ire-of-the-moderator rude.

What about CVTs? My understanding is that they offer an infinite number of possible gearing ratios. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to keep your RPMs in the sweet spot of the power band without shifting gears? I would probably pay big money for a CVT transmission that let me control the gear ratio when I felt like it, and also had a computer brain to take over when I didn't. Honda has used a CVT in the Civic for a while now, and Ford is now using CVTs on the new 500 sedan (about the size of my LTD). Plus, motorcycles don't have the additional complication of requiring a reverse gear.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I agree, iamz. The level of rampant a$$holery being displayed is completely out of proportion to the question.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I assume you're talking about using the clutch lever.....They could set it up like a tip-tronic or auto-stick. Maybe up and lock for Drive and down and squeeze to up-shift- down and push for down shift., or up and lock for Drive and use the footshift for the auto-stick.

My wifes Hyundai has auto-stick, I don't think she uses it much, but I wring it out now and again. It'd probably be more fun in a 911

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: Sarcasm for Red Staters

"I know it is hard for you Red Staters who watch FoX News to understand anything past a 6 grade level"

Yeah, as opposed to blue staters who swallow every utterance from that fact-raping planetoid Michael Moore.

What number is "Sniff derisively about watching Fox News" in the Mindless Left-Wing Boilerplate All-Purpose Prepackaged Replies handbook? I'm guessing somewhere between "It's all about oil" and "Halliburton!" It's cool, though - as long as you folks are mindlessly regurgitating instead of thinking past your catch-phrases, you'll keep yourselves marginalized.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: Sarcasm for Red Staters

OH, BTW, genius - perhaps blitz couldn't detect your Oscar Wilde-caliber drollery if he hadn't seen the feedback you're referring to.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Show Them the Money

This is a great question....why Honda, for instance, doesn't have an automatic trans option for the ST1300 or GW.

They've certainly got the engineering horsepower to make it so, if they thought it would sell.

And that's gotta be the sticking point. You don't think Honda's marketing crew isn't running focus groups and polling riders every day to find out what they want? Of course they are. That's what marketing research is all about.

So the marketers must not be finding many folks like Anonymous, here, whose checkbooks are ready.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yeah, anything bigger that a Burgman's gonna be trouble.

All an A/T's gonna do, on a big-bike, is make it easier, for drunken-idiots, to get from the baroom's parking-lot to the street, before they wreck.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts