Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You are thinking of the mid-range accelleration of the Porsche 928 S4 and GTS. That was the car that had quicker 60-100MPH accelleration, than its manual transmission version.

I'm not talking about top-gear roll-on, where an automatic cheats by downshifting, while a manual must stay in it's higest gear. I'm talking about a true test of accelleration, where the manual can be shifted at will. In that case, the only car I know of that had better performance with the automatic, was the 928 S4 and GTS. I am not aware of any Corvettes that were quicker with automatics, unless you are talking about modified drag cars.

I think you've ridden in a fairly rapid manual-transmission Corvette, haven't you? ;-)

-Sean

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yes, in fact I've ridden rapidly in a fairly rapid manual transmission Corvette ;-). And yes it is my understanding that an automatic is faster in the quarter mile due to the ease of breaking the wheels loose on upshifts. An automatic is faster/smoother. Maybe it's torque converter feeds power in smoother than the old clutch side-step.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts