Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
I agree with Try2fly. It's bad luck, mostly. However, you might be see someone splitting lanes at ungodly speeds here in LA and think that that's the way it's done, but chances are that person has done it for a long time, and has gotten used to rule number 1 of lane splitting: you MUST look way ahead to catch idiots beginning to do things that might result in a crash for you. Go slowly, especially at first! It's not so bad here, really, but you do have to ride like everyone is out to kill you (and everyone is, trust me). For example, for many LA drivers, a yellow light means: "Floor it", even from half a block away. I have been riding here for a while and I have never had a traffic accident in LA. PLenty of sphincter-clenching moments, but never down.

Hope your luck changes...

· Registered
128 Posts
I absolutely agree. Any empty space on a freeway is an invitation for someone to switch lanes and fill it. I get more nervous when I see some empty space than if I have to go between two cars, since my experience is that there is a better chance for the cars to recognize that the lane next to them is taken. In defense of the drivers, I must say that when a bike is lanesplitting it comes by quite quickly. Unless you are constantly checking your side mirror for bikers, you will not see them. I check, BTW, when I am in cage, but most drivers are totally unaware of bikes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.