Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
911 Posts
You my boy blew it on two counts, you shoud have assumed that somebody was going to blow that red light and second, you should have called the police, now the chances of getting your bike fixed are very remote, you are in LA not in Kansas any more. Oh well, to be young and stupid :)

· Registered
227 Posts
Call the cops? Maybe when he was in Pocatello...

I used to live in LA. For 6 misspent years. And I wonder how long it takes for the cops to show up at a fenderbender with no injuries. My bet is on longer than even the aggrieved party is willing to wait.

KPaul, you live in Seattle, where I live now. I once waited an hour for the police to come to an accident at the corner of Brooklyn and 50th in the U District. Busy, intersection, right? Both parties (the other party was at fault) finally gave up, exchanged data, and left.

Now oddly enough, I also lived in Pocatello, Idaho (did you enjoy Pocatello, Tim? you probably met the only sportbike rider in town!). Now there's a burg where the cops don't have much to do. Tim's accident would have had multiple squad cars.

I guess my point is that in big cities where the police have better things to do (or at least act like they do) than sort out routine accidents, the disposable camera seems like the silver bullet. What a great idea....and my R1 has a little storage locker in the tail section just that size.

I guess my other point is hey, MOfos, stop dissin' Timmy for not calling the cops. He was there, he made the call, and best of all he's still able to exercise the MO test fleet. With the SV in the shop, he's gonna have to take the Tuono tonight...or maybe the GSXR 1000....

· Registered
196 Posts
Re: Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore

Everyone runs red lights. Somtimes it's 4 or 5 cars after the red light in L.A.

The issue, of course, is the lack of protected lefts. Since there's never a turn arrow, and the turning cars never truly have the right of way, there isn't any time to make a turn, except after the oncoming traffic stops moving, at the newly red light. Or, I suppose, if there's no oncoming traffic. (*giggle* *snort*) Not that this makes running red lights correct, but it does tend to make it a fact of life, and thus something to learn to deal with if'n you want to survive.

The other good suggestion I can give is to buy a dual-sport / dirtbike. I don't live in LA, so I have only a few trips' worth of experience, but my friend Bryan swears the only reason he survived LA traffic on 2-wheels is because he could join the pedestrians on the sidewalk when someone just had to share his lane.

Good luck Starfighter!

-Kawazuki

· Registered
3 Posts
Re: Call the cops? Maybe when he was in Pocatello...

Within the city of Los Angeles, LAPD will NOT come to a car collision unless there are injuries. They send a private tow truck who will take the report. I would assume for a non-injury bike accident, it would be the same.

Save yelling at them until they get out of their vehicle. That way, it's harder for them to just give you the bird and take off. Plus, you never know what they have in the car.

Welcome to LA!

Cheers

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.