Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
It also really depends on the type of tire you buy. If you buy more expensive softer stickier tires they do not last anywhere near as long as harder tires.

I have pilot powers on my bike and 3k is the most I can get out of them. However, I do a lot of twisties, so I figure I should get the best tire I can for my money; it's worth it for that extra edge of traction once the tire is warmed up.

Pilot roads probably would last another 1000 miles.

Or I could just go with a car tire, and it would last the life expectancy of the bike, which would probably be longer than mine.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I listen to Duran Duran on XM '80s on 8 at times. :) Otherwise I wear a Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 and other appropriate gear.

BTW, it does have a CB too.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Also depends on the roads, and the type of riding you do - curvy roads and a light throttle hand will get you more miles than straight roads and a light hand.

All bets are off if you've got karate-action and kung-fu grip on your right arm, Action Man............

;^D

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Did you see the "contact patch" video MO ran a few months ago? It was a video view of a car tire on a Gold Wing. The patch was consistent, the tire tread stayed flat throughout the angles. They reported tire temps didn't go up significantly. What they didn't say was what would happen to the car tire sidewalls after a few thousand miles of that. I suspect it wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Did you see the "contact patch" video MO ran a few months ago? It was a video view of a car tire on a Gold Wing. The patch was consistent, the tire tread stayed flat throughout the angles. They reported tire temps didn't go up significantly. What they didn't say was what would happen to the car tire sidewalls after a few thousand miles of that. I suspect it wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I doubt you will get more than 5K out of any appropriate tire you buy, given the use you describe. A four cyl is smoother and easier on tires than the pulse-power of a big twin, but an R1 is an R1. Normal riding will yield a normal 5K (give or take a K).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I owned a 2000 R1 while I lived in Japan (just a few short months ago). Pilot Powers lasted and easy 5K with reasonable use and a few Hakone skyline and Ito skyline runs thrown in. That is a great bike. I miss mine badly. Good luck.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Might as well put the tire around your neck and light it on fire.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.