Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of couse you tell me this after I've already spend all my green on ribbons, bow, and presents!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"The biggest deals may be late-model Japanese cruisers."

There's a news flash. Buyer will need to replace all stickers though. Anything that has the manufacturers name on it is promptly removed by the owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe this has something to do with the cost of gas dropping? One used motorcycle dealer I talked to a couple of months ago said that when gas prices hit $3 everyone was looking for cheap commuter bikes (which he used to justify asking $3400 for an average FZR600).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've noticed the price drop around here too. The problem is I need to sell my bike to take advantage. The best bet is to sell mine during the riding season to get the best price. buy right before christmas. But that leaves me sharing my wife's bike during the best part of the season. Dang.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Probably no one thing causes this if it's really an overall trend. But the greater the sales of new bikes, the greater the supply of used. My guess is that new sales are the biggest factor, though the other suggestions sound good as contributing factors. You know, much the same thing has happened in the used car market.

I expect BMW & HD bikes to do well at retaining value as usual. Ditto some of the more desirable models.

Back if Feb 05, I almost pulled the trigger on selling The Fat Lady, my Honda ST11. '98 with all maint records, fresh Metz rubber...blah, blah. I was offered $5000 on trade and advised to ask about $6000 - $6200 if I sold myself. Looked at the whole situation again last month (I can't get that gosh darn XB12X out of my head). Down to $4000 on trade. Hmmmmm. And I see what appear to be clean ST's now selling for low 5's.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
My plan was to wait for the BMW R1200GS to ruin the R1150GS resale. Didn't happen. Now they are both still attractive.

I don't think the Beemer guys fell for the "now mine is crap" trick that most 600 & 1000 sportbike guys believe when a new model is launched.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
I hate that! I think that looks ridiculously lame. Especially when they take the tank emblem off the tank.

Got a V-Star. All stickers and emblems are still in place. I ain't drivin' a Harley, nor am I trying to convince others I am. I do like Harleys, but that isn't what I have.

I might be adding an SV650 to the garage soon if everything works out. The price is REAL nice. Just gotta make sure it isn't beaten to sh!t.

Anyone out there know of anything I should look for when looking at a used naked '04 SV with about 6 thousand miles?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Newer SVs sometimes have trans problems downshifting 2nd-to-1st. Get up to 3rd or 4th, downshift all the way to 1st like you're stopping at a light, and listen for any screwdriver-in-a-fanblade type noises.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Actually...

When the road racing season ends racers sell their race bikes for pennies on the dollar, usually with all that stuff on them. Check the club racer's websites and message boards for classifieds.

Happy sausage making!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.