Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MSF instructors are not infallible. An instructor told us at an MSF class that cars can brake faster than motorcycles and that you cannot use your brakes at all while in a turn. Both are patently false. The class was otherwise excellent and I learned some good things even though I'd been riding some 30 years before I took it.

When taking instruction you must always remember to use your own judgement. Not everything taught is necessarily true. Some courses of study are mostly crap. Anyone who has taken Economics or Psychology should know this.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I do remember some tests in Car and Driver where they showed the stopping distances of some cars like the Porsche 911 ($170,000 variant) that had 100-0 stopping distances that were motorcycle distances. But generally the best sedans (some of the BMWs) have about the same stopping distance as the worst motorcycles for stopping, like the Goldwing.

But generally in a panic stop in traffic the worry is about some car running up yer @$$. That's why I stay in the far left or right lane on the freeway... so swing onto the shoulder if I have to. I haven't seen too many Lamborghinis lately.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.