Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I like to go a step beyond "covering" the front brake in heavily trafficked areas myself. That is, I will actually keep the front brake somewhat clamped on at all times, sometimes only lightly dragging, other times with more pressure. The key to this is to use a lot of throttle; the more brake, the more throttle. The idea is to keep the rear tire spinning at all times, and therefore the engine in the meat of its powerband should evasive action be required. It's a rather difficult method to master and hard on tires and brake pads. When you smell tire smoke most of the time, you'll know you've got it right. At red lights in particular, keep that rear spinning and an eye on your mirrors, just in case. Safety first, i say.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just like a good fighter aircraft, the best motorcycles are inherently unstable, making emergency direction changes that much easier whether planned or not. Are you religious? Sometimes I think a good bike crash is God's way of saying, pull your ass over and think things out, young man. Here, have some pain too. Aids the concentration, don't you think?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.