Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 167 Posts

· The Toad
17,448 Posts
Right on! What's all this worry about maintenance costs? Get a manual, some tools and a farking feeler gauge!

Speaking of maintenance costs, I've heard BMW riders complain that a complete dealer maintenance is costing them $2000! Makes Duck look like a bargain, eh? How clueless can you be to actually pay that extortion? If you're too dumb to do basic maintenance then you deserve to be ripped off.

· The Toad
17,448 Posts
Don't worry about it.

Have you actually talked to motorcycle mechanics? Where does anyone get the idea that they are smarter than anyone else? If they can do it, you can do it. If you are concerned then just set the valves to the looser end of the tolerance. Just follow the manual instructions exactly. That's what the mechanics do. There's no magic about it. I've done loads of bikes and cars using manuals and never had a problem.

Modern valves seldom go out of whack after you get a few thousand miles on them. I've had bikes go 40K miles without needing an adjustment.

· The Toad
17,448 Posts
He's never bothered me either. Gabe however.....

I once got an email for a free Ducati999 if I sent a cashier's check for $2000 to some address in Nigeria.

· The Toad
17,448 Posts
Absolutely. How did you know? My current stable contains:

1977 Harley IT175

1984 Harley Magna

1980 Harley DR400

1991 Harley GSX1100G

2000 Harley ZRX1100

See? All HDs.

Although I am seriously considering adding a 1983 74" stroker ironhead Sportster. I think Yamaha makes those.

See? I've learned a lot on MO.

· The Toad
17,448 Posts
Close. She likes Harleys more than I do. Keeps bugging me to get one again. I say, "I can get three other nice used real motorcycles for the price of a used HD", and then I change the subject.

1 - 12 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.