Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
If Capirossi hadn't stacked courtesy of Gibernau, he might be leading the Championship. If Rossi hadn't had 3 DNFs, he'd have won the title by now. And it would be his 6th MotoGP title in a row not 5th. He would also enter the record books as being the only rider to win all 980cc MotoGP tiles on offer. You can bet he is also aiming to be the first to win a 800cc title. Hayden is only there because the others have given him points, not because he is the best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Regardless of how this plays out, Rossi is a stud. There are few riders today who could have the season he has had so far and be in the hunt for the title. I know lots of people who were claiming he could not make it when he was down fifty odd points. Thing is, he has won his titles by one hundred points plus, so fifty is nothing for him.

I might be wrong about this, but didn't Nicky have similar problems last year? He was doing very well, and then it just began to come apart on him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hayden - bad starts?

Maybe Nicky needs to go to drag racing school! If a bad start is going to loose you the season maybe it's time to talk to the people who really know how to get off the line!

They must practice their starts in private, as I've never seen anybody doing it on the track.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Hayden - bad starts?

They do it at the end of every practice and qualifying session. At Laguna, they line-up at the exit of turn-4.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wah Wah Wah with Nicky Hayden's bike problems. Rossi 's in the fight after 3 DNFs!

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's debatable and I'm in no position to judge, but the trap speeds seem to suggest that Ducati has a substantial top speed advantage (5 km / hour?). I have been under the impression, possibly mistaken, that the Honda tuned for a bit more power than Yamaha is as easy to ride; with much more power it is somewhat harder to ride.

Rossi seems to be pushing harder this year, which could be due to better other riders, equipment differences or whatever. I personally think that the inline-4 engine configuration is inferior to the V-3/4/5 although I just think that - not a very scientific feeling.

cdg

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Seattle by 7

LOL Yes longride never under estimate the power of GMP. Seattle by 7 over da Bears..

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think Nicky is having problems with his clutch at the start, not that there is something wrong with the clutch itself.

What worries me more is how he is riding in the middle and end of the race. He rides like he has a big points lead - very conservative. It also seems to me that his riding style has changed. I don't seem him 'backing it in' in corners near as much as he used to. Pedrosa hasn't done so well as his first race either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Hayden - bad starts?

You must not have the pay per view on motogp.com. If you watched the FP and QP you would see all of the riders practicing starts.

The previous poster is precisely correct about Laguna and turn 4. I have photos to prove it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As much as I am a Hayden fan, I have watched Vale through the years and he has proved himself to be THE superior rider over the long haul. His ability to win on Honda and Yamaha shows that it IS the rider and not the bike. Just listen to his signature line "Yes, is possible. . ." That tells it all.

If you saw him in person you would see how efficiently and elegantly he moves on the bike and how he truly becomes one with his machine. (for all of you non-racers and non-track day guys. It is very difficult to put in ONE good lap, much less 26 or 28 near identical ones. ALL of these MotoGP riders are so good it is hard to believe.

HOWEVER I AM ROOTING FOR HAYDEN!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I saw a quote from Nicky about the clutch. It's a big problem on the starts but it's also a problem during the race. Instead of being consistent on the overrun into the corners he says its like a switch and slides the tire at odd moments so he can't comfortably back it in as he would like. You would think HRC with all it's resources would be able to get it right.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As a VFR rider, I'm not sure that what you seem to have in mind is "What the interceptor should be" What it should have is a few more inches, a few less pounds and state of the art suspension. The VFR is a sport/touring bike (emphasis on sport) and not a full on crotch rocket. These old bones can still haul ass for four or five hundred miles, and still be eager to get back on it in the morning. What? 150 mph isn't fast enough? Gray hair, no ponytail. (GHNPT)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valentino Rossi is a master of the mental side of the sport, just like Tiger Woods is of his. I am sure Nicky Hayden feels a tremendous amount of pressure knowing that the best rider of all times is right behind you waiting to make his move. This only makes the possibility of mental mistakes by Hayden and his team even greater. I think Rossi will prevail again in 06, one of the most exciting MotoGP seasons in the last couple of years.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts