Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
TomTom updates Rider GPS system

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article TomTom updates Rider GPS system in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Because Im an ignat sob... That and I hate TOM TOM advertising.
I've solved the problem very easily. I went to Map World and bought M-A-P-S. There's also a thing you can get called a C-O-M-P-A-S-S. It tells you which direction you are going. These devices don't require batteries! A novel idea.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I've solved the problem very easily. I went to Map World and bought M-A-P-S. There's also a thing you can get called a C-O-M-P-A-S-S. It tells you which direction you are going. These devices don't require batteries! A novel idea.
But they DO require the ability to read and think, and a sense of at least one of the four major points of the Compass.

That said, I read an anecdote once about a guy that crashed his moto, and blamed it on his TomTom "Rider" - because he was watching the screen, and it didn't tell him about that last curve............... (that he didn't make)............

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Anecdote or not, that is a very real issue with GPSs (or any other visual toy.) I've had to train myself to resist the inclination to program the darn thing when I'm in the middle of traffic. *ahem*

On the other hand, they can be a huge boon to safe navigating when you're in an unfamiliar place, and you can rely on the GPS to tell you where to go.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Anecdote or not, that is a very real issue with GPSs (or any other visual toy.) I've had to train myself to resist the inclination to program the darn thing when I'm in the middle of traffic. *ahem*

On the other hand, they can be a huge boon to safe navigating when you're in an unfamiliar place, and you can rely on the GPS to tell you where to go.
Surely you don't mean the mountains or desert. The only places that I can think of that are unsafe enough to really require a GPS are Central L.A., Detroit, longride's neighborhood......

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
They have every GPS in the nation programmed to broadcast a message when you are getting close to my old stomping grounds. It says "Turn the f&ck around quick!" in large, easy to read letters.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just find mine really handy. And with the bluetooth headset in my helmet I don't have to pull over to figure out where to go next. One of my favorite uses for a GPS on the bike is to pick the curvy back roads as they come and then use the GPS to guide me home. The secondary benefit of this is that I can explore the roads first-hand (instead of relying on what looks good on a map) and whatever route I took is saved in a travel log that I can manipulate, save, and export later.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have a hand held that I use on hikes mostly. Just as a fancy pedometer, but getting elevation climb rate is pretty cool. On the bike I know where I'm going 99% of the time, that or I'll use my map pocket on my tank bag. Mapquest requires no batterys once printed. But it is nice to have every road in NA in my pocket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.