Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not sure what would have to change to get me off my ST1300 and head towards a cruiser, but I can tell you this is the bike I'd be going for.

Thanks for including the videos. You always hear "easy to remove" this or "moves funny" that, but to actually see it really drives the point home.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Seems like a good bike with some really nice finishing touches. The removeable screen setup looks like a winner, and I like the looks of the speedo (shame about it not being visible in sunlight).

V4 cruiser, don't think the rubbers are going to go for it. But an open minded person, whos looking for a new cruiser, probably won't go wrong with this bike.

Beautiful countryside cruising area, nice place to ride. Did you get up th the blueridge parkway? You can really work on the dodging RV skills there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Where's the VMax Motor?

I totally agree with Sean...why not drop an unmodified VMax motor in this thing? Perhaps they will reconsider when the Triumph comes out with that tourer based on the Rocket III motor...

I think Honda totally dropped the ball by killing the Valk. I hear rumors that it is coming back though...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Like Sean, I wonder..."where is the power" when I consider cruiser bikes. Have finally come to the conclusion that I'm not quite yet ready for one.

Over the last few years, have noted that a few of my aquaintances have moved over to cruisers as a result of health problems, etc. They seem to be enjoying themselves quite well, thank you very much.

As time marches on, I do look at the cruiser class more and more. Lord help me, I might cross over to...."the love (of bikes) that dare not speak it's name"..shudder!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't have the same anti-cruiser bias you have. I have an ST because I like the look and the performance, but I'll never ride it like a sport bike. Nope, 5-10mph over the speed limit to enjoy the scenery on the way to a B&B with the wife is the goal. Commuting to work and running errands is the daily reality. Twisties? They only exist for one weekend a year when I can get a few hundred miles away from SE Michigan.

If I liked the style of cruisers and could be convinced that having my legs in front of, rather than under, me was a good idea. Then I'd be riding a Yamaha.

Guess I'd need a differnt 'stich for that too, huh?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have to agree with you. Maybe it's because I started on dirt bikes, then went to sport bikes; but I just don't feel comfortable on cruiser style bikes. It feels like I have less control of the bike.

But, I might, someday, get a cruiser, almost, kinda....then again maybe not.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Why get off the ST?

Get one of each.

The optimum number of motorcycles to own is always one more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Where's the VMax Motor?

No motor 'has plenty of beans'...always need more. What does revs have to do with anything? Why would I not want to rev a cruiser motor?

I would gladly rev my motor to get 140hp.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had never ridden a real cruiser until my father-in-law bought one a few years ago. Wasn't my cup of tea, but it was a lot better than I had anticipated. They don't appeal to me on a gut level the way the lines of a nice sport bike do, but they are getting closer to providing the ride I need. As my horse power needs/wants drop, cruiser power output is on the rise. Maybe the lines will cross in a few years.

Too bad "biker" leather jackets look so dorky. Rather, they look dorky and poseurish on the 30-something software developer.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

Well, silly, it's because some people aren't happy unless they achieve LTV (Life Termination Velocity) in less than 3 seconds. Even an old 60HP shovelhead would easily achieve 100MPH in a fairly reasonable time. More than enough speed to whack oneself. Heck, even a GS500 will build enough speed in a few seconds for that coveted LTV.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts

The shovel actually accelerated quicker the longer you rode it because with all the parts shedding and oil leaking it continued to get lighter.

·
Registered
21 Posts

No need for the whole motor. Just the V-boost alone would be nice addition. Glad to see another V-4 on the road. I think it is the best engine layout for a motorcycle. Well... maybe not for a supersport....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.