Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I purchase a plan from AAA, or AMA?
I mean, if I break down on the road, isn't it a good idea to be able to call for paid help since I don't have any friends with a truck?

Joie

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Should I purchase a plan from AAA, or AMA?
I mean, if I break down on the road, isn't it a good idea to be able to call for paid help since I don't have any friends with a truck?

Joie
I'd get the AAA plan because then it covers you in every vehicle even if you're riding in a friend's car.

The AMA plan covers you on your motorcycle most likely.

I've used the AAA plan twice to get my Ducati home.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
It's been a while since I checked AAA, but the only way to get bike towing from them was to buy a "recreational vehicle" policy. With AMA membership, you can add the "MoTow" service for $25 a year, and that comes with some other good stuff like the magazine etc. You are covered for up to 35 miles, which should be plenty to get home or to a shop, unlimited number of tows, and you're covered on any bike you're riding.

Having spent some big bucks on towing with my ancient (sorry, classic) motorcycles, I should have gotten a policy years ago. Just one trip, about 12 miles from the side of the road to a shop, was over $100! See...you're smarter than me!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I had a AAA card. When my Magna dropped a valve (superior Honda, eh?) I called the AAA for a tow. They said, "So sorry no helpee motorcycle gaijin 'less he give extra squeeze fo' special membership."

I bought a tow service from my insurance company, Markel, instead.

AAA can go fish.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Check your motorcycle insurance provider. Progressive, Dairyland, American Modern and a host of others offer some type of towing or tow re-imbursment program. If you choose an outside service I'd go with the AMA deal because the tow services they use are prepared for motorcycle towing. If you go with your insurance provider the usual cost is between $8-$10 annually to the policy location.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
It's been a while since I checked AAA, but the only way to get bike towing from them was to buy a "recreational vehicle" policy. With AMA membership, you can add the "MoTow" service for $25 a year, and that comes with some other good stuff like the magazine etc. You are covered for up to 35 miles, which should be plenty to get home or to a shop, unlimited number of tows, and you're covered on any bike you're riding.

Having spent some big bucks on towing with my ancient (sorry, classic) motorcycles, I should have gotten a policy years ago. Just one trip, about 12 miles from the side of the road to a shop, was over $100! See...you're smarter than me!
The AAA is an add on. It's $22 extra per year. It covers motorcycle towing for 60 miles. It's also nice if you have an RV.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
You guys know that most motorcycle insurance policies offer towing? For between $8-$10 usually, you get towing with unlimited miles (in most cases). Dairyland actually has a rental car reimbursement program if you break down more than 50 miles from home. Towing with them is a $50 deductible but the mileage is unltd. AMIG actually uses a national tow service that specializes in motorcycle towing. Anyway, if you have to pay out of your pocket for a tow and turn the tow reciept into the claims department they stroke you a reimbursement check. Progressive, also, uses a dedicated tow company. No out of pocket expense for them, AMIG, Geico and a couple of others. Mileage limits usually come from those that don't know the motorcycle business as well as their competitors- like AIG and Nationwide/Victoria.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You guys know that most motorcycle insurance policies offer towing? For between $8-$10 usually, you get towing with unlimited miles (in most cases). Dairyland actually has a rental car reimbursement program if you break down more than 50 miles from home. Towing with them is a $50 deductible but the mileage is unltd. AMIG actually uses a national tow service that specializes in motorcycle towing. Anyway, if you have to pay out of your pocket for a tow and turn the tow reciept into the claims department they stroke you a reimbursement check. Progressive, also, uses a dedicated tow company. No out of pocket expense for them, AMIG, Geico and a couple of others. Mileage limits usually come from those that don't know the motorcycle business as well as their competitors- like AIG and Nationwide/Victoria.
I started with AAA because I had a clunky old RV. Now I have a clunky old Yamaha!

Actually my new Duc and my car both have towing as part of the purchase. I don't have the clunky old RV so maybe I could just ditch AAA.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I started with AAA because I had a clunky old RV. Now I have a clunky old Yamaha!

Actually my new Duc and my car both have towing as part of the purchase. I don't have the clunky old RV so maybe I could just ditch AAA.
Ducati gives you 2 years on the house, but if you're in the Desmo Club you can opt for the coverage from what I understand.
Which Duc?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Tow Truck?

I thought you meant, like towing with a rope...

Wrap the tow rope around the steering head two times, and leave a piece long enough to clamp down on with your clutch hand, on the grip.

Then if the bike towing you goes out of control, the rider is an oaf, drunk, etc. all you have to do is let loose of the rope, and you're free.

Nothing worse than tying the tow rope to your bike with a big strong knot, and the person towing you turns out to be a sadist on a 'busa, and tries to scare the living smit out or you by towing you down an alley, and through a parking lot at 80 mph. Or down the LA River.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Pegger and Pegge

... he was the one doing the towing.
The correct method is to "peg" the broken bike back home. Your pal comes up next to you on the left, puts his right foot on your left peg, and eases out the clutch. It's remarkably easy, and once the broken bike is moving, it doesn't put much pressure on the Pegger's leg. It's a damn sight safer than any towing arrangement, IMO.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
The correct method is to "peg" the broken bike back home. Your pal comes up next to you on the left, puts his right foot on your left peg, and eases out the clutch. It's remarkably easy, and once the broken bike is moving, it doesn't put much pressure on the Pegger's leg. It's a damn sight safer than any towing arrangement, IMO.
I shoved a broken sportbike off I5 that way on my antique, underpowered Harley.

I'd love to see a 600 try to shove the Geezer Glide off the road in the same fashion!

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Yikes... I've walked 'em home and I've paid the premium for a tow but I've never tried this cowboy stuff you guys are talking about.
The sportbike rider looked at me like I was nuts when I told him what I was going to do. I cautioned him to watch where he was going as well so he wouldn't steer into me.

Yer gonna hafta Cowboy up if yer gonna live in the wild west.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well you guys are planners, I still do the ol' thumb it home, rent a UHaul and hope it's still there when I get back....

Course that's not usually a problem here in Gods Country, where Men are Men, Ladies are Ladies and the livestock don't have to look over their shoulders all night....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.