Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$3.5K seems pretty steep. Get a map and an internet connection and design and book your own tour for about $100/day.

Colorado has too much traffic in summer now anyhow. I prefer touring further north...Wyoming, Idaho, Montana... The rockies are just as breathtaking and the roads are less impacted. Colorado's mountain roads aren't so much fun when they are full of 50ft motorhomes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
One of my favorite areas to travel through, if only for the view, is southern Utah. A lot of the scenery is on the massive scale you will see in Colorado or Arizona but with a fraction of the tourists. I'm sure the Utah chamber of commerce isn't pleased with that but it is nice to be able to pull over somewhere and not have to fight through a twenty deep crowd or deal with battalions of RVs.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
"The rockies are just as breathtaking and the roads are less impacted. " Utah propaganda. Colorado has 50+ 14,000 ft peaks. no comparison. Go in Sept when the kids are in school and before the snow.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
By the way, I think you are exagerating the traffic. Especially when gas is $3.00 plus a gallon. Next sumer at $3.50 a gal. Motorcycles will be the way to go.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
GFY- Good For You right? ;)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
May be too late by September. Hell, it don't stop snowin' in the Front Range 'til late June, some years.

Of course, I have a few friends that live in the greater Denver area - commute year-round on motos. 'Cept when the snow flies, they're on a bike.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
How do figure? I grew up in Colorado went to school at CU Boulder. Denver has a very mild climate same with the whole Front Range. You might have an ocassional snow storm in March at the latest. But the snow will melt in a day.. Hell hunting season is in October. The first significant snow storm int the mountains is usually around Halloween. Mid Novemeber for the western valleys and ski areas i.e . most ski areas open after Thanks giving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh, gee, Scott, did ya mean little ol' me?

I have to agree with the RV/SUV summer riding issues, freeze/thaw cycles are tough on asphalt (and cliff faces), and there can be snow at the passes any day of the year.

On the other hand, I've ridden Trailridge (the highest continuous road in the US) in November (cool, but a beautiful day). It's been 7 years since I had to spend more than a week off the bike due to weather (even counting the 4' snowfall a couple of years back). Denver's really pretty mild. It's just hard to plan a major tour outside of summer, and not risk being stranded in your hotel by some pretty uncomfortable weather at some point.

Jaysus, what am I saying. Don't move here, it's the great frozen north and you'll have to shovel snow 11 months out of the year. Really.

Val Gregory

AMA 466527, DoD 1258

'90 Hawk GT

Tell the truth, explain to me, how you got this need for speed?

She laughed and said, "It might just be the next best thing to love."

- David Wilcox, "Eye of the Hurricane"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.