Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I hope they don't actually plan to sell them, cuz they won't. I'm not sure who their target customer is for an ugly liquid-cooled, inline three shaft-drive cruiser. It'll be a novelty bike, just like the Ruin.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh, it'll sell

We're not talking about something the size of a small-block Chevy, like a Boss Hoss. I would think the form factor would be more on the lines of a Valkyrie. Another winner in the American market for Bloor and Company.

·
Registered
640 Posts
No, I'll wager that if the bike looks good they will sell plenty. Naturally it will have to be very confortable for the type that will lay down the muula. Of course the gas mileage will have to be 40 mpg+. I can't wait to see and test ride this thing. If Triumph does it right they will have no trouble selling this bike.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Well, judging by the spy photos I've seen of it, if they produce that exact bike that I saw it definitely does not meet criteria number one for a cruiser, which is styling, so it won't sell. I also doubt that the mileage for a 2300cc inline three would be anywhere near 40mpg- probably more like 25-30 if they want to get any performance out of it. Their current bikes are in the high thirties or low forties right now, and that will only decrease as displacement increases.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Now that every one have jumped on to the "cubic inch war" it seems only fitting that the european and british bikes follow. The fact is, this bike will sell. Don't expect big sales numbers like when the Valk or VTX appeared, but I bet Triumph won't be disappointed. Anyway, now that the standard Valk is going away (for a little while) big guys like myself need a bike that doesn't make us look like we're riding Honda Dreams. If Triumph can keep the price south of $12k I'd run down to Atlanta Triumph tomorrow and give them some dead presidents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
IIRC, the old spy shots of the 2.3 cruiser actually used the Valkyrie frame and alot of Valkyrie components(forks, etc..) since the engine is about the same length that the flat-6 in the Valkyrie is. I guess the Valkyrie frame made for an easy test bed.

I would assume a production version would be a little smaller than the Valkyrie, but who knows? I like the direction Triupmh is heading.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
YIKES! What did they do? Hire the drunken janitor who styled the BMW 1200C?

Europeans just don't seem to be able to style cruisers worth a damm. Remember the Norton Hi-Rider or the Ducati Indiana?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Latest word is Honda's not ruling out further production of the Rune, but I agree with the assesment of the big Triumph's looks - all the spy shots I've seen were hideous. What they need imho, is to put that [email protected] 2.3 into a replacement for the Trophy (one that's not near as ugly as the upcoming bike, OR the Trophy) :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems to me that Triumph should give up on making these cruisers (is anyone actually buying the Bonneville America? I've yet to see one on the road) and make a cafe-racer version of the standard Bonneville. How about upgrated shocks, lower handlebars, dual disk brakes, etc.

I just see no brand consistency from these guys at all... Do they make modern sport bikes like the Daytona and Speed Triple, or do they make ugly cruisers with way-too-far-forward footpegs like the Bonny America and this new monstrosity... another answer to a question no one is asking.

Here's my advice: Cut the price the standard Bonneville a little more, make a "cool" version of this bike, and concentrate on supporting their dealer network. Their dealers seem to be dropping like flies and the few that there are in California don't seem all that interested in selling Triumphs.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.