Motorcycle Forums banner

Triumph ABS or any ABS

13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  sarnali2 
#1 ·
Greetings all you MOron bastards.Does anyone have any experience with Triumph ABS? Do you like it? Are any there compromises? Hell, I'll take any feedback about any ABS systems you may be using. Though I have never owned a bike with it I have ridden a few BMW's that have it. Recently an R1200r with current generation set up that I was impressed with. Also a previous generation servo system that I felt sucked. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I've used the ABS on my Tiger twice now. Once when the rear tried to skid on some gravel. Another time when some fool bytch jumped out in front of me in her PT Cruiser from a K-Mart parking lot. Both times it worked flawlessly. Just grab the handle and no worries about stoppies or skidding. Otherwise the brakes feel like normal brakes. I'm sold on it.

#12 ·
Whogivesafock? Most of us don't have the money and time to spend hours and hours on a track in the rain to learn the exact braking capabilities of our bikes. I have no problem with ABS and never did, except for a reluctance to buy it when it was first added to bikes. I just knew it would take several years to make it work right and let others do the beta testing for me.

My only problem with the new sophisticated traction controls on the BMWs is that it indicates that we have reached a place where the bikes are in fact too powerful. A bike that needs such safeguards to keep its riders from killing themselves is, in fact, too powerful. I expect the increased fatalities to bring about more govt controls in an attempt to safe healthcare costs. Anyone want to make a wager?

#14 ·
A bike that needs such safeguards to keep its riders from killing themselves is, in fact, too powerful. I expect the increased fatalities to bring about more govt controls in an attempt to safe healthcare costs. Anyone want to make a wager?
No wagers from me! Once the government starts footing the bill, they will (be able to) tell you what you can and can't do or, rather, what they will and won't pay for.

BTW, kudos! It takes a certain amount of skill to turn an ABS thread into a healthcare thread. You truly are the master!

#4 ·
I have the triple disc Brembo ABS on my ElectraGlide Standard, ditto what Seruzawa says, it works like a charm specially on wet roads. I rode an '02 BMW for awhile with the power assisted linked ABS set-up and didn't care for that at all. I would have learned to ride around its idiosyncrasy's after awhile but at the time I just didn't care to make the effort. BMW has since changed there logarithms so I would assume it's a little more user friendly now.

I'd recommend ABS for anyone, in a panic type drop the anchor and pray situation it can make all the difference in the world.

#5 ·
I would like ABS on a bike due to knowing it saved me some bumpers on cars over the years and hope for that same reliability on 2 wheels. I wonder if the accident I had this winter hitting the slush would have been avoided had I not been controling my skid into a snow bank and low siding my bike. I knew I was on wet slick surfaces and afraid to brake too firmly wanting to keep the bikes weight over the tires, ABS may have given me that edge to not had to laid it down.

#11 ·
I have had ABS on three different bikes. FJ1200, not the best and would kick in on RXR tracks or potholes really early. Bmw GS, never noticed the front but the rear would kick in early on choppy pavement. Bmw K1200R, could be the safest bike I've had to stop. Absolutely NOW stopping in most conditions.
Now I don't know if I would buy another bike w/o ABS.

#15 ·
" I expect the increased fatalities to bring about more govt controls in an attempt to safe healthcare costs."

Actually, if they kill themselves in increasing numbers, isn't that already saving healthcare costs? Saves on pension and Social Security too! The Gov should promote this type activity, no??

#16 ·
" I expect the increased fatalities to bring about more govt controls in an attempt to safe healthcare costs."

Actually, if they kill themselves in increasing numbers, isn't that already saving healthcare costs? Saves on pension and Social Security too! The Gov should promote this type activity, no??
If they thought like that then they would encourage smoking too, but they don't. The key to getting people to willingly accept the slave chains is to pretend it's for their own good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.