Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
There's a LOT of relationship if you're a lawyer...

since they absolutely and without any contest that I'm aware of own all rights to the name, trademarks and everything else that legally consitutes a brand.

Aside from the legal aspects (the only thing that counts more than your opinion or mine) it's all in how you define a "real" Triumph. Are Harleys made by a spun-off division of AMF, not the original company, real Harleys? Legally they are, but otherwise a matter of opinion. In my opinion they are "real" because they build their own engines, frames and drivetrains (everybody outsources some parts). In my opinion Indian can NOW call itself "real" because they're starting to produce their own engines again instead of using generic S&S motors, but if the courts decide they don't own the name (was still a suit or two alive last I heard) then it doesn't matter what I think. In my opinion today's Triumph bikes are more "original" than Jaguar cars with Ford engines, even though the latter never went entirely out of business.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Today's Triumphs are the best-kept secret in motorcycling. You get that elusive thing called "character" out the wazoo (the thing that most people pay thru the nose for one of those high-priced brands to get) while the price/performance ratio comes closer to mainstream i.e. Asian bikes that everybody and his brother has. Their only weakness seems to be their dealer network and that should improve as sales keep climbing. People who haven't ridden one don't know what they're missing. I hope this trek gets them some much-needed publicity. If it doesn't, their introduction next year of the most powerful mass-produced motorcycle ever (2.2L/150+lb torque) should do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.