Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
One problem....

I've seen Tesla on Modern Marvels or one of those shows. Very interesting. What I don't get is why the very usable electric Saturn EV1 was taken off the roads and scrapped. I watched "Who Killed the Electric Car?" a while back, and I gotta tell you, even if you factor in a large degree of melodramatic BS from the producers, it sure seemed strange that they were dragging these cars out of the hands of leasees who were begging to keep them. Evil "Big Oil" in cahoots with GM? Behind the scenes engineering and safety issues? Or just not the right time or place market wise? Hmmm.
...with the EV is that you are not really saving much fossil fuel rather you are shifting the smog from SoCal to central Utah. While it might make some people feel better about themselves it doesn't affect the planetary situation much. But that's not the real problem. We do not have an electrical power infrastructure that could begin to handle the demand of a hundred thousand EVs in SoCal much less millions of them. Changing away from fossil fuel energy production in the USA will require a complete shift in thinking and I suspect it will take a lot more vision and creative thought than I see demonstrated.

I vote for Dr Bussard's fusion plants. Small ones placed in every neighborhood. Then you don't need the nationwide power grid any more or the huge oil/coal burning plants and all the employees and bureaucrats and associated lobbyists, etc. etc.

Yeah. That'll happen soon.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
All I know is that when I visit my brother in Torrance, Ca he has brownouts fairly often. Utah might have the excess capacity but SoCal is much more marginal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts