Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
True, but the interesting thing may be that now that there is an absurdly expensive, yet usable version, that bodes well for an affordable bike in the near future. Almost any technology tends to rapidly drop in price...the "Li-Po" batteries the R/C guys use for their planes now cost a tenth of what they cost just a few years ago. The performance and range are well within what I'd be looking for.

WTF is that windscreen?? They must have stolen the prototype from the Vision.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I've seen Tesla on Modern Marvels or one of those shows. Very interesting. What I don't get is why the very usable electric Saturn EV1 was taken off the roads and scrapped. I watched "Who Killed the Electric Car?" a while back, and I gotta tell you, even if you factor in a large degree of melodramatic BS from the producers, it sure seemed strange that they were dragging these cars out of the hands of leasees who were begging to keep them. Evil "Big Oil" in cahoots with GM? Behind the scenes engineering and safety issues? Or just not the right time or place market wise? Hmmm.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Really? They said that about the EV1. But, most people don't actually drive almost 200 miles day to day. And, although it took several hours to completely recharge the EV1, you could get 80% in 20 minutes. Not perfect, but not really that bad. 143 miles would work fine for me for 90% of my trips. Then again, I'm not in Utah or Texas.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
First, I completely agree with you on the fusion, or even well managed fission electrical generation. It's almost criminal how we've allowed ourselves to fall so far behind on this technology, especially considering what we have to go through to use fossil fuels.

However, I'll disagree with you on the electrical grid. It's a very well known fact that there is huge amount of excess capacity in electrical generation and distribution virtually everywhere, at night. I realize the people who made the movie had an agenda, but their stats (my recollection, BTW) showed enough excess capacity to charge hundreds of thousands of cars every night without adding one iota of generation or distribution capacity.

Finally, consider this: industries and technologies tend to be symbiotic. There was no petroleum industry until there were autos, and autos didn't really take off until there were readily available sources of gas and diesel. I suggest that starting the migration away from fossil fuels in the auto industry can provide the leverage to build clean nuclear power that I think we both want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts