Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: JUST PERPETUATES THE IMAGE OF LOUSY BRITISH ENGINEERING

Judging by this guy's grammar and spelling if he'd programmed the fuel-injection the bike wouldn't run at all!

p.s. Sagem is french.

p.p.s. Does this mean the 2001 TT600 is no better than the 2000?

·
Registered
203 Posts
One of the great things about the Triumphs up until now has been the three cylinder engines, which give the sort of torque of twins and a lot of the smoothness and revability of a four pot. I think it's a real shame that they seem to be moving to 4pot engines and dropping the triples. However, don't damn all triumphs for one dodgy engine, 'cos you can's say the Speed triple, the Sprints or the Tiger are anything other than excelent, and the new Daytona looks a fun ride...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most often execution not engineering...

as in quality control (or the utter lack of it) which plagued the British auto industry for many years. We won't go into why since this isn't a forum for political and social debate. The engineering that went into the design of their vehicles was generally on a par with competitors and in some cases the best especially when price considered. I will only say that while you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, you've got to have some quality control to make a silk purse that's as good as the sow's ear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: If You Think Triumph Has Problems...

Noted your comments viz. EPA and CARB mandates.

You might wish to check out our home page (www.mrf.org). On the left hand menu bar click on position papers. THere you'll find MRF's public comments on EPA's latest bid to impose California standards nationwide on all bikes.

I should also note that many manufacturers are close to or better than California standards without catalytic converters. While a tad dirtier than some, my 2000 Sprint RS performs like a champ ... without a cat.

·
Registered
83 Posts

So we're not allowed to criticize Triumph for selling a bike that works poorly because the FI is outsourced? Gimme a break! Why is the TT going to look good when FI takes over? They already look bad in comparison to the F4i and GSXR, so how is the rest of the world figuring out FI going to help 2001 Triumphs? All I can say is that I am glad that Sagem is out of the picture. Now maybe with a little restyling, and new FI, things will shape up.

ps - I have ridden FI Triumphs (most recently the 955 Daytona) and wish the company the best, but I really think the criticism is fair, for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trouble for Aprilia Futura?

Hmmm, I'm seriously considering a Futura, but I've read it uses Sagem FI also. In two of the reviews I've read, about the only real complaint they have about the bike is jerky throttle response in low speed, 1st gear situations. In one review, they mentioned a German reviewer fell over when trying to do a low speed U-turn. I sure hope Aprilia can figure this one out.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I agree, FI is inevitable. Look, they've had decades to get carbs working right. EFI is new tech for most of these guys. In 5 years, once they get the bugs worked out, it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Marvy! Another genius with the world figured out. Do us all a favor, hop on your "jap bike", take a long ride, and keep your ignorant, closed minded opinions to yourself. If you don't like the make, don't buy it! Go find yourself a nice "jap bike" forum and inject pearls of wisdom there. Otherwise,(operative phrase to follow...)SHUTUP AND RIDE!

·
Registered
20 Posts
EPA spec

I'd guess that the Tt's run great if tuned out of EPA spec, uch liek the Moto Guzzi Quota which gets horrible reviews of its injection system also. BUT, if you can find a dealer willing to tune them out of EPA spec, they run great. HOwever, this should not be nescessary with EITHER of these bikes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: JUST PERPETUATES THE IMAGE OF LOUSY BRITISH ENGINEERING

Having recently completed a project with a lead Electrical Engineer from England, I can completely understand why the fuel injection system is screwed up. Talk about a random approach to engineering!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It should be a comfort to one and all that Lucas no longer makes motorcycle electronics. No, the lions share of their business comes from Airbus. If you look real close on the A340 you can actually see the ziener diode monted on the nose of the plane.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts