Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: 955 Daytona has sagem FI!

I have a 955i Speed Triple that is damn near perfect. It is easily as good as any of my previous bikes that used carbs. I have experienced no problems with low speed throttle response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am right there with you Grapelli. I have owned Honda's,Kawi's, and back to back Ducati's. I am currently ripping up the asphalt with my 955i speed triple. FI is near perfect and I love the triple for the exact reasons you list. I think it is a great alternative to a me too four.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Isn't it AIRBUS that wouldn't allow the pilot to over ride the computer, thereby crashing the plane.

Love the diode, only way I could figure out if it was bad, was take the bike for a ride at night on a dark road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That will be a comfort the next time I fly anywhere in Europe. I have a couple of old radios at home that still use diodes. One even has the new fangled "frequency modulation" channel on it. I think Triumph was out of their league trying to compete in the 600 class period !! Kind of like Buell trying to compete in the sportbike class with a Harley engine. I have a fuel injected Suzuki and can't tell the difference between it and a carbureted older Suzuki I also have. I also have a dog and cat at home that are both fixed. What's the problem here ? Triumph should stick with three cylinder sport-tourers and get on with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If Ford has a electronic problem, do you blame the Japanese?

i understand that sagem is french - but Triumph must take full responsibility for its product - no matter who its suppliers are

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you think the new supplier will offer kits to up-grade bikes sold with the Sagem system? Would a whole new computer be needed or can different FI maps make the low-rpm response as good as the Japanese FI bikes? If they did sell up-grade kits, would they cost less than a Power Commander?

Just for the record; when you look at the big picture FI, even if it is not perfect, is better than carbs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Now that they've admitted the problem and announced the solution, will they fix all the 600's they've already sold? It would seem like the thing to do; keep current owners happy, attract new customers, spread good will, etcetera.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Who?

Ford? Do they make cars?

If you read the article, it specifically says Sagem screwed Triumph on purpose. I agreed Triumph are responsible but the comments were made about British electronics when its French.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No. The pilot crashed the plane by trying to perform low level acrobatics in an airliner. He throttled back at low attitude (like 50ft) without realizing that the engines would take 7 seconds to spin back up to speed.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: If You Think Triumph Has Problems...

Have you been reading, the article or the posts? Its fuel-injected, does not have CARBs.

CARB, is some California air quality board thing, that is making extreme requirements for vehicle emissions. (I suspect for all vehicles, but all I ever hear about it for motorcycles.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: JUST PERPETUATES THE IMAGE OF LOUSY BRITISH ENGINEERING

Did you hear that Lucas was coming out with a vacuum cleaner?

It's the only thing they make that doesn't suck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: If Ford has a electronic problem, do you blame the Japan

Triumph's fuel injection (Sagem) has been one of the best in motorcycles. I hope they can find a replacement which is just as good.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Now THERE'S an intelligent, well though-out and open minded statement... Well ok, maybe not.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I commend Triumph for trying to put FI on their first 600. My ZX-12R is the first FI bike I've owned, and am delighted with not having to deal with carburettors. The hassle of keeping 4 carbs clean, in tune and in sync is something that I hate more than most motorcycle related things. The biggest attraction to me is the freedom from maintenance. If the EPA is happy too, great!

I am not concerned with throttle response problems because I haven't had the luxury of trying out every bike around to see what perfect carburettion feels like. Prior to my 12, I used to own a '98 Ducati 900ss which was so badly carburetted that the bike wouldn't even run cleanly under 3k rpm. There were aftermarket fixes, the best being new carbs for $1k, but I never bothered. Compared to that bike, the 12's throttle seems SUPER slick.

I think the only people who don't like FI are the one's blessed with perfectly carburetted machines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking as a TT owner, I have to agree that Triumph obviously released this bike before it was ready. But they're a small company, and unlike all the Japanese makes they don't have some other business like cars, boat motors, or ships to subsidize their motorcycle development so I suspect that it was the bean counters at Triumph who insisted that they start selling some bikes NOW.

That said, I would also point out that the EFI performance on my TT is no worse than the EFI on the BMW K-bike I used to own. Can you say harsh on-off throttle response? And unlike the BMW, the Triumph's system can be reprogrammed in a matter of minutes and the reprogramming is free at Triumph dealers in the USA. Installed an aftermarket pipe? Rather than spend hundreds of additional dollars on rejetting and fine tuning I just go down to the Triumph dealer and have another map downloaded.

I hope that whatever company Triumph switches too they maintain this same level of serviceability.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts