Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, welcome back Longride. I can not wait for the full field test of the sneaky leaker.

As far as the bikes go, my experience with the new Triumphs have not been good, so I would go with the Honda. But there is something to be said for being unique, so go with the Triumph.

Sorry not much help, just by the one ya like they both will be fun.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I don't know about the reliability of the Triumph.

I do know that Magnas are maintenance nightmares. They used to have serious reliability issues with the trannies and valve gear, bit I think that's all been addressed and fixed. It is undoubtedly the most difficult bike to work on I've ever come across. So if you do your own maintenance beware. If you pay someone else to do it then have at it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Go with the Triumph. That triple is the best. I test drove the Adventurer at a demo ride last year (may have been two years ago) and I couldn't believe how strong a bike it was. It is almost identical to the Legend. Nice power. Light and nimble handling with great ergonomics for those 30 mi. commutes w/twisties or the weekend trip.

Have you looked at the newly reissued Thunderbird Sport? With better brakes and better power it’s a bike that will have you taking a lot of Mondays off because a two day weekend just won't be enough. I just wish I could get another bike. The T-Bird Sport would be it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
One more note: Honda dealers are everywhere (outnumbered only by H-D) and HRCA membership has its privileges but the Triumph dealers are committed to customer service and keeping you happy.

They have the attitude of building a network of services for the rider that goes beyond just selling you a bike and performing routine maintenance. I’ve stopped at Triumph dealerships around the country on my Road King just because the folks are so damn nice as well as helpful.

If you have a Triumph dealer close to you, go check 'em out. I think you'll see what I meen.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Go with the Magna, you will save some money and reliability problems, and that V-4 sure is a sweet motor, even without the gear driven cams of the pre-variable cam timing of the new ones.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to have a 96 Speed Triple, put 13k on it with no problems. I was giving serious thought to getting a Tbird Sport, but then I saw the Yamaha Warrior, and that was that.

But I recomend the Triumph. The triples are great motors, and sound awesome with a set of pipes. Triumphs are good bikes.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
My first suggestion is buy used. Even if you buy from a dealer, you will come out better from a depreciation stand-point. If you find a couple bikes in your area that you can test drive look for bikes with high and low miles. Just listen to the bike. Even if you've been out of the saddle for a while I'm sure you can tell by sound if a bike isn't right.

Since you want opinions, I would choose the Legend. The Magna is a fine bike with more power than any bike around it's class. But why look like a sheep. I've owned several Triumphs and have never experienced a more unique bike. I rode a Magna the better part of the summer of '98 when working for a dealer and had a blast on it, but the Legend will not let you down. I am a rather large guy and I was much more comfortable the T-bird and the Sport. You really picked two fine models and as a m/c insurance agent, you're the type of customer an agent wants. But as I say to all the kids that want a GSXR "Don't be like sheep. Own something that makes others think 'Cool bike', right?"

·
Registered
458 Posts
Neither...

Both have cruiser-style handling (limited ground-clearance and it takes effort to steer).

For a 30 mile commute, get a modern standard or faired standard. An SV650 with an aftermarket windscreen would be a great choice.

Or pick up a used VFR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owened a 2000 Legend. I relly liked it. It will eat up the twisties with aplumb. The torque from the tripple is a point and twist operation. the exhaust note is addictive. The handling is great. It has a 62" wheel base with a 27 degree rake that adds up to stable on the highway and fun in the corners. They have had zero reliablity issues. when the triples were on the road for a couple of years they bought back a Legend from a delivery company with a lot (cant remeber the exact number) miles broke it down and it still looked like new.The ownly reason i sold mine was to get a Bonnie. cheers Triumphil

·
Registered
236 Posts
those problems were fixed in the 80's. The Magna was completely re-designed in 94 and basically it's a different bike from the ones you're talking about.

great advice, too bad it's 20 years out of date.

Don't buy a Harley, either, they're a ***** to kickstart. LOL

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Triumph, but I own a Magna.

The Magna is bulletproof, with a reputation for solid build quality, reliability and longevity. It's great around town or touring coast-to-coast.

The Magna does the 1/4 in 12.7 seconds. Only a few other cruisers are faster, and those don't corner as well, so the Magna will leave them behind in the twisties. But don't just take my word for it:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/Musclebikes/

The only downsides to the Magna are a lousy stock seat (easily replaced) and a smallish gas tank that will require you start looking for a gas station after 100 miles (3.5 gallon tank * 42 ave mpg = 147 max range).

Otherwise, dollar for dollar, it's one of the best cruisers around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am the proud owner of a very unique Triumph, the Tiger. It is a 96 model with 25,000 miles. It has an awesome motor. The triple pulls like a tractor at low speed and blasts through the rpm's with just a twist. I have mounted full knob metzlers and riden this 510# beauty in every dirt situation, including deep water and mud, and the motor has never missed,a beat while showing it's tail to many big singles. I think the Triumph Legend is a great choice and great looking machine. Nothing like sitting at a red light in Daytona Bike Week with a 100 Harleys and 1 Triumph.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: That didn't take long

Of course not, cheap fast and maneuverable is a nice combination in a commuter bike :). There's a reason the SVs are so popular.

Just to put it in perspective, the Magna has 76hp at 505lbs dry ... enough power at that weight to roast your typical Harley. In contrast the SV has just 67hp but is carrying ~125 fewer pounds. At 7lbs to a horse the Magna is running about a 8hp disadvantage in raw power and it can't even hope to compete in the corners.

I presume the guy is interested in a cruiser style bike, so the SV is out. But if you're open to a standard, the SV is a very nice little bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own a 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport and have put over 24,000 miles on her so far. The Magna was also on my list when I was looking a few years ago. Both are excellent choices.

The Triumph is an attention getter. I don't care where you go, ( i.e. local store, small town, Walmart, nice restaurant, etc...) people will gather round and ask all kinds of questions.. I'll be honest.. I like being able to pull up to the local biker hang out and having people check out the bike.. This will never happen on the Magna.

It is easily as reliable as the Honda. I take 7 and 8 hour rides on mine and truly enjoy it alot. Other than normal maintenance, I haven't had any problems. One bad thing.. Triumph doesn't make the Legend anymore so Legend specific accessories will start being hard to come by. Also, dealers are a little scarce.. I live in San Antonio, and the closest dealer is in Austin..

The Magna is an awesome bike, with a motor straight out of the V45 crotch rocket from years back. There are dealers on every corner, which means there are Magnas on every corner as well. I like having a bike you don't see every day, but if dealer maintenance and dealer accesories are a big deal for you than the Magna would be more in your favor.

There are plenty of accesories for the Legen though, you just have to look a little harder. If you like the slightly forward controls on the Magna, There's a kit available to put forward controls on the Legend / T-Bird.. The Legend can also be lowered with a little work. ( which looks totally awesome!! ) And any aftermarket mufflers ( a must! to hear that triple sound!) with 1 1/2" i.d. opening will slip right on the Legend..

Anyway.. hope this helps you out some.. and enjoy which ever bike you chose, even though I'm biased toward Triumph, the Magna is great looking and performing bike as well.. You'll enjoy either of them..

Dave Arnold

'00 Triumph Thunderbird Sport

San Antonio, TX

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own two BMWs and a 1996 Honda Magna (hence the name) I'll state that ALL 84,000 miles on the Magna have been great. Usual maintenance and one changed clutch have been the only mechanical expenses I've paid. I have an aftermarket seat and V&H pipes for exhaust. It's a great all-around bike regardless of type of ride you're on. A jack-of-all-trades if you wish. Sure, some clown will tell you to buy a hinkley bike but what's in a name? There is nothing special about Triumphs except the nameplate. They can NOT compare with Honda's build quality (tranny issues are mentioned but that's from the old 80-era bikes--these clowns won't tell you that). Honda dealerships abound and everyone can order parts for them.

If I needed the money and could only have one of my three bikes, it would be the Magna--regardless of Nameplate(BMW) or status. The others are a 98 R1200c and 02roadster.

71magna

·
Registered
236 Posts
SV is no comparison to a Magna

I own and love my SV, but it is no way a good subsitute for a Magna. The Magna handles well enough for conservative riding and even the occasional spirited burst.

I've also noted that the luggage options for the Magna are much better than the little SV. Anything you put on the SV looks like you're turning a pony into a pack mule and an ugly one at that. The Magna, on the other hand, can take some luggage and style have style.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Grab yourself a used Magna or Virago 1100(shaft drive nice). Both are good reliable mid sized w/more muscle and standard ergos than the typical stretched current V-twins. Find yourself a good deal and you can ride 1 or 2 yrs. and resale for most or all of what you paid. By then you will have gotten more feel of whats out there.

You might want to consider taking the MSF course again. Have fun w/your new toy!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I guess I can jump on this bandwagon... It's all up to you. Niether bike would be a bad decision. Yeah, everyone knows about Honda availability and quality. That's a given. But no bike maker makes lemons these days. I own a Triumph, so count me as being biased, but I will give you the downlow. Owning a Triumph is special just because of the extra attention you receive. Either from some young guy/girl whose never heard of them, or the old-timers who remminesce. Also, Triumphs are making alot of appearances in movies, so that brings in the attention. If you want/need that ego boost, go with the Triumph. There is a serious downside as well. As stated by others, Triumph dealers; while extremely friendly, helpful, and loyal; are a little scarce. To make matters worse, taking the Triumph to a Japanese model dealer for the slightest thing: tires, chain, fuzes; is like wearing cutoff shorts to some fancy-pantsy French restaurant. They don't want your business, they just want you to leave. Don't know why. Just what I've run into.

I guess it all comes down to this- do you like Pamela Anderson before she got the boob job, with the boob job, or after she got rid of the boob job? The Triumph is her before the boob job- great with maybe slight little imperfections that make it unique. The Honda is her with the implants- everything perfect, in my opinion to the point of being bland and common. Getting the used bike is getting Tommy Lee's sloppy seconds either way. But if you're Kid Rock, I guess that doesn't matter.

So much for my two cents, wooden nickle, what the hell ever. Good luck and ride well.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.