Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a triumph Speed Four from a relative for a couple grand and was considering it. The only problem i have is that I have only recently gotten back on two wheels after years of hiatus (rode old Honda CL50s and 100s as a kid) and have been riding the girlfriends fathers CL175 around the woods. I was planning on taking the MSF and what not but I was wondering if the Speed four is a little too much for a first Street bike, I have had my eyes set on a Scrambler for the last year but for around $2000 I didn't want to pass up such a deal.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if i don't take it my cousin Rob will, though he already has a bunch of bikes and his wife will more than likely kill him.

I really like the looks of it I just don't know how i feel about the power and the athletic riding position. Could i put risers on clip ons?

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
NEVER PASS UP A GOOD DEAL ON A MOTORCYCLE!!!!!!!! :)

Here's what you do. You buy the Speed Four, but continue riding the CL175 until you get your sea legs back. Take the safety class and slowly work your way into the Speed Four.

From what you said it seems like you aren't a 21 year old punk kid and you have previous riding experience, so you should be able to restrain yourself and continue practicing with the CL.

Beside, it’s not like riding around in the wood ISN’T fun. It just different.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
"Could i put risers on clip ons?"
-I'm pretty sure you can. I would almost think you could use the bars from the Speed Triple. Don't take my word on it as I am mechanically stupid.

Oh, and screw this "Rob" character...if that is even his real name. :) He sounds like a greedy motorcycle bastard! Your goal is to have more bikes than him. Make it happen. :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well whats funny is i AM 21, though I rode a lot when i was younger and have no interest in having my brains on the pavement.

I saw this guy the other day riding a Ducati 999 down a fairly busy street doing wheelies out of red lights. No helmet, no jacket, blue jeans and a "wife beater." I also watched him almost collide with a telephone pole O_O mmmm.... brain soup.

In all reality i have no reason to ride like a moron, I don't feel the need to impress anyone. I just want to enjoy myself and ride.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Could i put risers on clip ons?"
-I'm pretty sure you can. I would almost think you could use the bars from the Speed Triple. Don't take my word on it as I am mechanically stupid.

Oh, and screw this "Rob" character...if that is even his real name. :) He sounds like a greedy motorcycle bastard! Your goal is to have more bikes than him. Make it happen. :)
Hell yea! anyone want to donate to my cause?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well if you keep the revs real low it will have the same power as the CL. If you have restraint and past riding experiance you should be fine. Remember buy a full face lid, nice jacket, gloves and a good pair of boots at bare minimum. Take your time, swallow your ego and ride your own pace. At that price you could just buy it and resell for a few dollars more too. Take the MSF course if its available.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i got screwed. My family decided to sell it to someone outside the family for just over $4000 :-\ sort of irks me.

Though theres one on Ebay with a buy it now for $3300 + $715 shipping...and then i need a helmet (i have my own jacket, boots and gloves) Hm, I think i need a loan.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Just be sure to do your homework on the ebay item before you purchase. Especially since it seems you are buying it out of state. Just make sure the ad is legit. If possible see the bike in person before writing a check.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Bummer! But don't worry too much about it - there are other bikes and deals out there for you to find. :) Including bikes that may be better suited for you at your stage of re-entry to the sport, you might admit. So put aside your disappointment and let's think again about what could suit you well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.