Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
If you are into retro, what could be more retro than an actual Triumph named a Thruxton complete with Norton tailpipes?

Are we beginning to see a repeat of the early 80's? A time when manufacturers had so overproduced various models that you were able to get two year old brand new bikes for next to nothing. Remember '81 GS1000s for sale in '84 for $2499? There seems to be a boom going on. Booms are always followed by busts.

I'd like to see it again. Maybe before long we'll be able to pick up slightly used bikes for next to diddlysquat again.

Especially if it'll bust the bubble of the stupid used Harley market.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I knew that would get you.

I know I know. Wishful thinking. I just would really like to see it happen 'cause I'd like to pick up a basket case project for cheap like you used to be able to do. $8000 for really ratty crappy Shovelheads are a bit much for me.

But if the bubble does burst I'm looking to get a screaming deal on a Speed Triple. That's quite possible.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Hooray!

I doubt that I could post anything that wouldn't be misinterpreted by you Gabe. You can hardly compare a few lean years for the m/c industry to the Great Depression. They charge the moon when they can get away with it so why should I get teary-eyed when they miscalculate and have to give steep discounts on new bikes which in turn depresses the used bike market?

Anyhoo, I don't care about the dearth of new models. I very seldom buy new bikes anyhow. I like to cash in on the busts when they occur.

There is a boom/bust cycle in business and it's going to hit the motorcycle market just like it would any other. The trick is knowing when.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I agree, I just think the used Harley market is completely nuts. I hope that it returns to a rational level before I'm too old to pick up a ratty old shovelhead to restore. I've looked at a couple but the prices being demanded for HDs that need major rework are ridiculous.

And leave off the jokes about all Harleys needing major rework. We already know that.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Whoopee!

Well, if you want to pay 20K for a bike, better one of those than a rebadged Harley.... er I mean Indian.

And certainly not everyone on the block would own one just like yours.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Sense of humor in full play.

I didn't know that Harley-Davidson isn't a motorcycle company!

I've got to go now. I've got to get my swastika on an go goosestepping with my Republican buddies.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Re: Hardlys

Isn't that why we ride Harleys? So we can make 'em put 'em in top gear as soon as possible and then open the throttle through wide open drag pipes in school zones?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts