Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hooray!

It'll be just like the Great Depression, when you could buy an apple for 3 cents on any street corner. That was great!

After the Japanese bike boom/bust of the early 80's, we had a dearth of new models and shrinking registrations for the next 8-10 years. Remember when the big news in the magazines was the Seca II? Now a bike that pedestrian would hardly get a 1/2 page blurb in the front section of the national glossies.

Please don't call me a communist!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Whoopee!

And if you pay $20,000 and don't mind waiting 18 months, you might actually get one!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed?

Or were you just born that way? Seriously, the bust in the motorcycle actually IS comprable to the Great Depression if you have a large stake in the motorcycle industry like I (or the hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working people struggling for low pay in the motorcycle industry)do. But, hey, I don't expect any conservative (or fascist) to have any REAL compassion.

As far as dealers and OEM's charging the moon- huh? The factories spend millions and millions on R and D and charge a pittance for sportbikes and standards with amazing technology and capability. They don't sell that many, either, even in a boom, compared to cars. $11000 for a GSXR1000? And it will outhandle and perform any car you could buy for 10 times that? Or $7999 for a super-cool looking retro Triumph that will run relaibly for years and years and outperform the most tricked-out vintage Triumph? Most of the bikes I sold at the dealership I worked at were put on Visa cards!

Maybe Harley charges to-the-moon prices, but do you know what? They aren't really part of the motorcycle industry. They are their own thing, like snowmobiles or jetskis, so they don't really count.

They are a lot less comprable than comparisions between the Great Depression and economic cycles in the motorcycle industry!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts