Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Haven't seen the new S3 in person yet, but it doesn't look that small. Heck, If I could ride that Brutale, I could hang with an S3 easy. Maybe i should go with an OCC custom and forget the whole deal.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I put 46K miles on a 96 Tiger over about 4 years, no problems, no breakdowns, nothing at all. Really the only unreliable bike I've owned is a Harley, unlike some of the other posts, and it's main problem was chronic oil leaks. Jap bikes, Beemers, even a Ducati have all been good for me over similar distances.

IMO you can forget your reliability concerns, they were a problem with the old Triumph, but the new ones seem to hang together wonderfully.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If you want the "custom choppa" experiance just put short struts on the back of your shovelhead, loosen the steering head bearings and strip all the insulation off your wiring.

You won't get the snazzy paint job but the wonderful handling and authentic "wiring issues" should be close. Don't forget to run REAL short drag pipes and yo-yo the throttle at every stop.

(Now go buy a Triumph cheapskate)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I was kidding on the OCC thing. I really despise those things. If some people like em, it's cool with me, but you won't see me on one. I have to ride one first, but I think the S3 and me will get along fine.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Re: Excuse me

I concur. Where are the *****z, Gixxerz, and brain tankz!!! Excuse me MRALLCAPS but even though I heard you can REALLY ride your public needs you! With the rumored demise of THE HIGHWAYMAN (I heard he was doing time, again, some trumped up Atrocitor assault rap) we need all the HERO's we can get in these trying times!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Longride-

My not-so-local dealer told me he sat on the ST and the SIII when he was at the Dealer meeting in the U.K., and he says the ergo's are practically unchanged.

His previous personal favorite was the ST, and he thinks the new one will be a home run (or whatever the British equivalent would be) but he spent his own money and bought a Rocket, which he says is the most fun he has ever had on a bike. It's also the first bike he has puchased in three decades as a M/C dealer.

AFA reliability, I never had a lick of trouble with my Y2K ST, and my '03 had only an annoying fuel problem that eventually fixed itself. Other than the recall on the fuel fittings, that is.

Get thee on a Triumph (especially since the out-year SIII's will be really cheap when the new one hits the streets!)!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do I get to come to Chicago to ride it or will you just bring it here?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I know what you mean, if they gave me one I'd sell it to the first fish I could find.

The S3 should be a little more relaxed than your ZX and a little more crouch than your MAX. Supposedly the ergos didn't change from last year and I fit that one fine. I'd love one myself, but that Thruxton just grabs me and won't let go...Reminds me of my dads bikes.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Triumph is making a heck of a bike lineup these days. I could have at least 3 in the stable if I was Leno rich. The Sprint is real nice and the RocketIII is a wild ride. The Thruxton and Bonnie are classics. Lots to like for sure. Can I stay in the GPTB if I get one?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Getting an 04 S3 might be a possibility also. I really liked that bike too. Good to know the ergos didn't change too much. Being a bit larger than average, I really don't want a cramped ride.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
You can keep your membership in force if you remember to pour some used oil on the ground under your Triumph. Sprinkle a couple of nuts and washers too. Gotta keep up the traditions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a sweet bike indeed. And much more juice. Bet it really honks. Good choice. The '05 S3 was tops on my list but I couldn't hold out and got an brand new '03 SV1000 at an extreme discount.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You didn't even make it to SD. As far as you got was the 909 (Riverside County). Most Temeculans consider themselves Northern San Diegans though.

You can ask our friend Ebass if I know some of the finer roads in SD.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If they did it would be looked at as just another Japanese copy-cat, and they wouldn't use decent stainless hardware like Triuph, or decent powdercoating like Triumph, and unlike Triumph they'd charge a fortune for it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll Third that!

I've owned Triumph since late (October) 1994! I've had at least 15 since then, and I've had NO issues with the machines.

15 +/- since 1994??? No wonder my wife thinks I'm nuts! And yes, I actually put some miles on some of the bikes!

Talk about a lousy reputation for quality!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts