Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I'll get the all-access pass so I can tour the pits and see the bikes close-up. That's one thing I love about m/c races at Daytona, for a few bucks extra you can get behind the scenes.

I didn't miss the barb, BTW.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I hope it's a re-volting experience!

It'll be a bit weird, walking through the pits and not smelling any fuel...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
How much did they CHARGE for the tickets? Is it GENERATING a lot of excitement? OHMy I wish I were there but the wife has too much RESISTANCE to traveling that far.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You'll forget the race is on if you talk to anyone while its going on. So do not take your eyes off the track. Without the sound and the smells its not all that exciting I hate to say. Add in the field this year is pretty small even with the two classes and its even more boring. Ive seen them 4 or 5 times now and with a bigger field it would be more fun. But 10 guys spread out on the track silently, not so much.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You'll forget the race is on if you talk to anyone while its going on. So do not take your eyes off the track. Without the sound and the smells its not all that exciting I hate to say. Add in the field this year is pretty small even with the two classes and its even more boring. Ive seen them 4 or 5 times now and with a bigger field it would be more fun. But 10 guys spread out on the track silently, not so much.
Ken spanking the monkey alone in the stands will be more exciting than the race.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken spanking the monkey alone in the stands will be more exciting than the race.
Speaking of which, how'd you like that last video I sent you? I know, I know, it wasn't the fireman outfit you asked for, but if you're a naughty boy...I'll see if I can accomodate you tonight.

Kisses!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I can see what you mean. I've always enjoyed the different sounds from the various engine types at Daytona. The Ducatis have a low "blat" sound versus the high-pitched whine of the I-4s. The last HDs that raced in the 200 made a helluva noise...at least for the first few laps before they blew up.

As for the scents; after 50+ years of burning rubber, spilled race gas, exhaust, and puking NASCAR fans, I doubt the DIR is going to smell any different. It's like Bourbon St. in New Orleans: nothing in the world smells anything like it, and nothing in the world can make the smell go away.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The bikes are NOT silent! When they're at speed they sound exactly like a Lear Jet doing a low pass at half throttle. Unfortunately there were only five bikes in the race, so I only got to hear one at a time go by. But wow, they haul serious ass and as the field fills in over the years it's going to be just as exciting as gas bikes.

Brammo won the race by a handy margin.

A bike from Munchen (remember the Mammoth?) was second. Munchen is developing a production bike.

Zero showed but was not competitive.

Eric Bostrom would have won on his Brammo, but during lap 2 it had a temporary fault and he slowed to about 1/2 speed for 1 lap. The bike came back and he caught up to take 3rd. I got to meet and talk to Eric in the Brammo pits. What a gentleman, he stopped what he was doing and spent 10 minutes talking about E-Bikes, Brammo, and the race.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That field was as full as it was ever gonna get Kenny.
Do you honestly believe that, or are just rattling off the party line? Every major bike builder has E-bikes either in development or in production (with the exception of HD). Do you really think they'll ignore racing, when the sport is already generating big PR and sales?

Then again, on the 80's when I started my career, I had a lot of guys like you tell me microcomputers were just a hobby for computer geeks and would NEVER be used for business, let alone in people's homes.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Do you honestly believe that, or are just rattling off the party line? Every major bike builder has E-bikes either in development or in production (with the exception of HD). Do you really think they'll ignore racing, when the sport is already generating big PR and sales?

Then again, on the 80's when I started my career, I had a lot of guys like you tell me microcomputers were just a hobby for computer geeks and would NEVER be used for business, let alone in people's homes.
I'll bet you 5 years from now you still don't own one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.