Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MotoGP, allow the Tul-aris in

I heard that the Tularis can also be fitted with a 920cc kit. That ought to keep the V5's at bay for a while (or at least until they rewrite the rules allowing 2000cc turbo V8's 4strokes)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Hey MotoGP, allow the Tul-aris in

Agree on this one.

How about 1000cc two strokes in Moto GP. Yes I know that no one sells them, but racing should pertain to technology as well as marketing. Besides we do have developments in clean two strokes. Orbital, Honda PD bike etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: 2-strokes not likely

I can't agree on the idea of 1000 cc 2-strokes. Few would likely dissagree that the 2-strokes days are probably numbered thanks to the epa. I would much rather see the development money and track time spent on the 4-strokes. After all that's what we'll see work it's way to the street in one form or another.

·
Registered
211 Posts

You're right, at this time anyway. The concept of 'clean two-strokes' is out there, it's really just a matter of someone spending some time/money to put it together with a suitable 'marketing spin' to re-sell the public on the technology.

Some outboard motor company (Evinrude?) already makes clean 2-strokes that are right-there with 4-strokes emissions wise. My guess would be they smoke 'em (heh) power-to-weight wise.

The thing is that we -could- have the best of both worlds...gobs of "clean" power that is also very light and very simple. Since a 2-stroke has far fewer moving parts, they are (almost) always lighter and cheaper and simpler to make than a 4-stroke, even with whatever techno-gadgetry has to be added to make them clean (what amounts to fuel-injection). After the techno-bits are figured out, that cost is done... not unlike any new F.I. technology. Thereafter, it's down to refinement and so on... the big 'hit' is the first breakthrough/implementation.

Ever swap in new pistons/rings on your 4-stroke by yourself, in an afternoon? (or less?, you super-mechanics or pros notwithstanding...I'd expect you to do it.)... wish you never had to deal with a rip-off mechanic again (or nearly never again?)? They're not all rip-off artists, but sometimes it seems that way to me I guess... no offense to mechanics out there.

Anyway, learn how to spin just a few wrenches and you can do your own top-end jobs on a 2-stroke. Get a little more into it and you can rebuild the entire motor with hand-tools. Only guy you'll have to see to get the job done is a machinist, and they're good people in my experience. I like building motors though, so I guess that may not be as big a selling point to 'everyman' on the street.

I guess I'm just wishin' and hopin' though. The stinkin' EPA has made its mind up and won't be confused by facts it seems (unless I've missed a press release.... doubtful).

-James

P.S. if it seems like there's always a handful of 2-stroke "defenders of the faith" on this site, I guess there is!...(myself, Lincoln, some others that escape me). I'm beating this drum regardless of whether it's heard, sorry for the repeats on the soap-box to the long-timers! :)

·
Registered
780 Posts

A bunch of light, small displacement direct injected 2-strokes are under development as the basis for hybrid powertrains and motor sports engines. They match 4-strokes for emissions at about twice the specific power and they cost much less per kW to produce.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Hey MotoGP, allow the Tul-aris in

Absolutely! Bring on the clean 2-stroke development!! I hear Evinrude (U.S. outboard motor maker) has had this for a while now.

I'm not sure a 1000cc 2-stroke would be rideable in the current state of 500cc tuning, but it'd be neat to see what they'd do. :)

My guess is that they'd have to throttle back on some of the extra-radical porting, but that'd be just the ticket for mellowing out that hit while boosting low-end (which is what everyone seems to want more of).

I'm sure someone could make it work if given the chance if only b/c they could do it cheaper and thus have $$ left over for several generations of development v.s. shooting it all on one ultra-radical 4-stroke (see Sauber/Petronas... Foggy** scrapped that entire Sauber motor, said it was "way off" (and not just size-wise for WSB, but engineering-wise, FWIW).

-James

** yeah, Foggy's got some crazy 'tude, granted! :)

·
Registered
780 Posts

Don't knock the EPA too hard. A 2-stroke that meets clean air standards is golden as far as they're concerned. They've put down Diesels and 2-strokes on the basis of current state of the art, but both are improving lately.

Visit New Delhi in India to get an idea of what current Diesel and 2-stroke technology can do to the air in the real world. Air you can't quite chew without getting your teeth greasy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.