Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No helmet,d,ont cry![bob marley] Seriuosly,I have been thru montana this past summer,and I swear my wife and I must have gone at least 30 miles btween speed signs,if not more.Shame because they have wonderful roads and very little traffic between towns.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Movin' to Montana soon..

..gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Yippiee yi-o ki yea.

But seriously folks, that sucks. Maybe Jankow cloned hissef and is out mowing down bikers like that hot rod Lincoln in "The Car".

·
Registered
238 Posts
After seeing the stupid bevavior this past weekend of kids on hyperbikes doing wheelies down the local freeway without helmets I can see why we have this increase..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I seriously doubt that it's the power the old folks are having trouble with on the new HD's, they don't have much. More likely it's the weight of all that chrome and leather.

Not a good stat no matter how you look at it.

Yardbird..........

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The report seemed pretty balanced to me, -fatalities increased because number of riders increased-

No "motorcycles are dangerous" hysteria, no "ban them all, make them pay" nonsense

Are you sure that's a legitimate news artical?......

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think this is really simple.

The first 6-months of riding after you get your license shall be on a Royal Enfield Bullet of up to 500cc capacity.

Any infraction during the first year and you are restricted to a 350cc Royal Enfield and daylight hours of operation only.

Repeat offense? Your motorcycle endorsement is suspended, your Royal Enfield is impounded and you must complete 50 hours service on Royal Enifelds during a 6-month probationary period.

·
Registered
281 Posts
‘‘It's not like motorcycles are suddenly unsafe,'' he said. ‘‘It's a function of the number of motorcycles more than anything else.''

Correction: more unsafe. No point in pretending that motorcycles are a safe mode of transportation. They are not. And yes, any motorcycle over 100 HP

should require a special license to operate with stringent requirements. These kids will be needed for the war effort in Iran.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Seems like their is some denial going on in Montana and here the GPTB on MO. The number of deaths go up by 37 percent but folks say that it's just because the number of motorcycles increased. Doubt that explains it. Did the number of registrations go up by a corresponding 37%? No. Seruzawa I think the answer is the lack of a helmet law. A one year thing doesn't make a long-term trend. But I would wager next year will be higher than last year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You make a good point. But I think it is hard to tell from 2 years of data. It is probably the combination of squids riding powerful sportbikes , older riders riding big bikes and the lack of a helmet law. Hard to tell with out further information.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Lies, dammed lies and statistics

The number of bikes registered doubled but the raw accidents increased only 33% between 1997 and this year. So what's the problem?

The % of fatalities/ number of bikes went from about .12% to about .16% for this year. And this is likely just a random blip. Maybe some cager went into Zoloft induced psychosis and ran some bikers down. Maybe the proliferation of cell phones caused cagers to become even more unaware than usual. Who knows?

Statisics in the absence of the supporting data are pretty worthless. But statistics are real handy for "proving" that power lines cause cancer and other such bs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.