Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post?

sounds interesting but will it pass emissions.

I'd like to see the piston contraption they made.

I'd also like to listen to it run.

too much to ask?

·
Registered
955 Posts
A Pivital Occurance?

Think they ought'a spell it "Piv'tal" or sumtnin' like that: be able to soak the Neu'vo Sucker-Riche', that'a way. The Bozo-Wealthy, love that "Sor-tae' Shee't!"

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Just think of the pile of dead squid if these folks end up creating a 350 lb. 250 hp. sport bike. I like two strokes but I'm not sure I'd like a two stroke made with 2005 technologies. I do like the idea of no valve adjustments, low weight, low center of gravity and high performance. Nothing like that available now. This new engine would give the folks at Dunlop a challenge.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think the 250lbs/260hp sport bike, you're talking about, would be a great idea! Throw-in a 25% dicount and attractive financing, for anyone with an I.Q. under 110, and you just-might save the Human Race.

Other than that, legalizing post-54th-Trimester abortions, could be a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This is the first time I've seen or heard of the the pivotal-piston, but seeing the website-illustrations has my mind reeling.

Motion is stablized, but surface-area is greatly-increased and as you inferred it would seem possibly- more-difficult to contain the combustion gasses.

Then, I get into all the different ways the top-connecting-point of the connecting-rod, might travel-horizontally along the horizontal, and all the different ways that might be used to adjust the Torque/Power curves (possibly on the fly) and I really start going NUTS.

Anyway, if they ever get it to work it'll be cool, but right now I have my doubts...and a Hellava-Head-Ache!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I'd like a 2 stroke street bike. a modern version of an RD400 would be a kick in the butt. Something along the lines of a Speed Triple or Buell Lightning with a 5 or 600 cc two stroke would be incredibly fun.

Reed valves... expansion chambers... Blend-Zall or Castrol R...

I love the smell of bean oil in the morning, smells like.......Victory....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A 10 pound (add another 10 for tranny and clutch if you must) 200HP triple engine with a 15,000 RPM redline and an extremely usable power delivery. 50,000 miles between services, mainly oil changes. A projected service life of 1,000,000 miles between overhauls. 100MPG on tap water with oxygen and water vapor emmissions. Come on Martin, Get crackin'!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rotary engine had a different set of problems, I think, in that some of the "rings" had to go through a cycle of contact and release (when they passed through one of the chambers). This engine has constant contact on the ring surfaces, which I think would be easier, and the rings would always be at the same angle of contact with the surface, which is good. It's an amazing concept, actually.

·
Registered
780 Posts
1000 RPM power band?

The ragged torque curve is dropping like a stone below 5000 RPM. I'll bet it won't run at all at 4000.

I'll bet the part of the torque curve they didn't show is both short and hilarious.

·
Registered
955 Posts
While everything is stable, the cylinder is on a curve: metal expansion and radial torque; would heat cause those things; and could either of two things cause damage, or catastrophic failure?

Lotsa heat, lotsa forces, lotsa surface area to bend, twist, warp and expand...Gotta Wonder!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.