Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Nice job Gabe! Already gave to the Red Cross weeks ago. I'm sure everyone can spare something to help these people. Motorcyclists are generally more giving than most. Let's keep that tradition alive for the people that need it most.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great story! I have a brother that lives in Slidell and is doing cleanup and construction work. Dan tells me that the people that have moved back are willing to pay almost anything to get their house repaired. For those that are hard workers and need a job head on down cause they need the help. My second connection to this story as you can see by my name is the Nighthawk 750. Like mans best friend it's always there for you and never lets you down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great story. Thanks for the sidebar on how you got to where you are. I passed it on to my wife who teaches Career Prep and Media Convergence at a local college. It's hard to emphasize to the students how important good writing skills, photo, video editing, etc. all ties together, and can be used in any carreer...even in the military! Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks Gabe,as an american who happens to be black ,you brought tears to my eyes.While a lot of people argue about what,s wrong with America,us true Americans just do what,s right.Will talk to my fellow bike friends and see what they can do. Again my heartfelt thanks, and god bless you and all the men and women in the military who stay out of politics ,and just do their job regardless of race .

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
good work Gabe, i am trying to think of other motojournalists who are there... i am drawing a Blank. In fact, I don't know anybody who's in the Guard or Reserves come to think of it. Could be a blue state thing i guess.

May as well track down Confederate and c if the added moisture improves their products any. Somehow i doubt it... oh, Ted the Turbine Moto man is a few miles over from you, Marine Turbine something...

·
Registered
720 Posts
More a economic class thing, I think

Than a blue state thing. California has a very large contingent of Guard troops in Louisiana and Iraq as well. Los Angeles has lost more people in Iraq than any other city in the USA.

There are no blue or red states, just lighter and darker shades of purple. We're all paying and suffering together, like it or not.

I'm actually back from Louisiana now. I might get to see you next week.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks for the great story. The disaster brought out the worst and best in us.

I would like to see the use of dual-purpose bikes for relief agencies. You can imagine how useful they would have been after the Katrina disaster.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: More a economic class thing, I think

LA maybe, OC i doubt it. We contribute by serving as an exemplar of beauty and coolness for the rest of the world to emulate really. we going to Elsinore? I am taking new RM85 out tomorrow. Thanks to sqidbait for turning me on to otdcyclesports.com. Zero hassle, internet quote of $3099 (msrp) included tax, license, prep, etc. What a way to do bizness sayonara boneheads.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: More a economic class thing, I think

Wow that is suprising. But isn't Southern Cal more conservative/Republican than Northern still? Though things may have changed in recent years.. Like JB I would doubt the brave souls are coming from OC though. :) Could be an opportunity thing (imigrants in SoCal see it as good opportunity for education etc.). Interesting facts Gabe. Glad to see you are back and on MO. You are right purple is the color like a bruise.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Political Views don't matter...

Yes, Orange County (OC) is the land of some of the most conservative politicians, thinkers and voters in the US. Think John Birch and Richard M. Nixon. Southern California is much more conservative than the North. come to think of it, just about anywhere is more conservative than Northern California, although it is also purple: if you took out the Bay Area, it would be like anywhere else politically, pretty much.

If the US public is roughly 49% demo and 51% Repub, the military as a whole is about 45-55. Not that different. Most people don't join the military for ideological reasons alone. So if you have a wealthy, conservative community like OC, there are probably going to be way fewer miltary per capita than a poorer, yet much more left-leaning area like East LA or maybe Brooklyn.

People from wealthy backgrounds are in the military. I'm an example. I grew up in Marin County, which in terms of PCI makes OC look like Watts. But of the 300 people I graduated high school with, I was one of two that went into the military within a year. But I was an exception, especially in the Marine Infantry. I met very few enlisted marines or soldiers with a background similar to mine. Mostly farmers, inner city people, folks from military families, and plenty of immigrants.

Right or left, if you are middle class or better int his country, the military is something "other people" do. I wonder if we'd be in a war if the military was more representative demographically?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Re: Political Views don't matter...

well, i think OC is changing, a lot of people here are LA escapees and also big ethnic mix—not so much Caucasian Republican as in 60s, 70s, 80s.

I think there are a lot of military from here probably but more Officer Material, ahem, and hence not mixing with the likes of U or me...

Perish that last thought, GW Bush served proudly in the TX ANG. So didn't ****Cheney or Rumsfeld. Say Where is Rummy these days? He used to be scowling at reporters every nite on the news?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Nothing new under the sun

How about that diesel KLR650?

Geez, a ma-duce handler. Semper Gabe. Dig that hat.

·
Registered
720 Posts
On top of that, too...

I've been talking to the Jarheads about the diesel KLR, but it's still in the development phase. No story yet, but I might be doing some ride-along training with their gas-powered courier motorcycle units. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Political Views don't matter...

I wonder if we'd be in a war if the military was more representative demographically?

A pretty good example is Viet Nam. Enlisted soldiers were low income, uneducated or very (very) patriotic. Many soldiers were drafted, whereas college students and men with a family got deferments. After age 26 you weren't eligible. After cancellation of deferments everything changed. A lot more college kids were sent to VN and lots more soldiers were coming home in boxes as the war escalated. Some ( like George Bush) enlisted in the Nat. Guard or signed up for the reserves to beat the draft.

One way to gauge how serious the Iraq war is will be if they have to draft kids to go to Iraq. If that happens the flag waving and W signs will disappear pretty fast and a lot of people will hit the streets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.