Motorcycle Forums banner

U.S. DOT Announces 2006 Seatbelt & Motorcycle Helmet Use Stats.

10K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  The_AirHawk 
#1 ·
Is wearing a helmet a good thing? What if I ride a cruiser?

#29 ·
Re: seruzawa supports big brother monitoring,using the wrong measure i.e. Speed does

Come on where is your rebuttal seruzawa. Be a man and admit I am right for once.

#31 ·
Re: seruzawa supports big brother monitoring,using the wrong measure i.e. Speed does

uh? have you heard of radar? it's what they use now to messure speed.. no black box needed.

As far as weight isn't that stamped on each vehicle?

so when you got a speeding ticket they could just punch in the speed and the weight that was stamped on the vehicle (or have a look up table) and bingo - ticket fine.

Sounds like a great idea to me!

#32 ·
Re: Nonsense, its how energy is transferred is the key.. i.e conservation of energy l

"Assuming you could stay on such cruiser would you die just cause of deceleration."

Of course you can die just from deceleration.. decelerate too fast and your brain will slam into the inside of your skull breaking blood vessels - brake enough and bye bye.

This is why helmets are important they limit the deceleration force g's that act on your head giving it a bit more time to decelerate as the padding smashes. It's primarly not to protect your skull from cracking although I'm sure that's also a possiblity.

#33 ·
Only 51% of riders wear helmets? This seems unrealistic to me. Yeah, I see people riding without helmets sometimes (I live in a state where helmet use is not mandatory for all riders). I followed the link to the NHTSA survey data, and it states that the percentages are 68% in states where helmets are mandated, and 37% in the other states. These percentages reflect DOT approved lids--novelty helmets did not count toward the total. Still, just based on my observations, I feel like the percentages they stated are low. Even in my area, where riders have a choice, I'm thinking well over 70% of riders are wearing helmets. Can I get some of your opinions on that?

#34 ·
Re: Nonsense, its how energy is transferred is the key.. i.e conservation of energy l

No way. That's too complicated an idea for some people. Just keep it simple. Speed Kills.

The next time you are being chased by a grizzly bear remember that "speed kills" and walk, don't run.

When having a heart attack tell the ambulance driver to slow down because "speed kills".

For that matter always drive 15 mph under the speed limit for added safety. This is especially beneficial during rush hour on the freeway because, you know, "speed kills".

Always fly an airplane at one mph over stall speed beacuse "speed kills".

The sun is travelling around the milky way galaxy at approx 150 miles per second. Clearly we should all be dead because "speed kills".

#35 ·
WEREWOLVES OF LONDON, again........

I didn't say that THIS frightened me, I merely wanted him to know that SOMETIMES he frightens me.

#36 ·
I'm a hi-skule drupoff, Foo!

Really.

#38 ·

Most accidents don't occur around speed traps.

#39 ·
Nonsense part 2

Yes it is possible to have damages but it is caused by transfer of energy not by acceleration by itself. i.e the energy transfered by the brain to the skull, etc. Come on guys my point is that velocity is a key factor in kinetic energy of a crash. i.e the square of the velocity means a change in velocity can change the energy more dramatically than mass. i.e. compare derivatives (calculus) for velocity vs mass. All you have to do is graph the energy on a graph for given mass by changing the velocity. Get your graph paper out or use excel .

#40 ·
I live in northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border and I would say that almost no Harley riders wear helmets in this area (No helmet law) and most cruiser riders in general don't wear them either. Probably more than half of the sportbike riders in this area wear them but there a large number that don't.

#42 ·
Re: Your homework assignment.

So this is what? Supposed to relieve me of my Stupidity?

If I'm so Four-Asterisk'n Stupid, wouldn't that be absolutely Idiotic to surmise that I had enough mental capacity to grasp the fundamentals behind simple Physics?

Really KP, I AM a Dropout: I have no formal College Education. I work in the Agricultural "Industry", for a company based in a small town in Arkansas.

I ain't got no big-city smarts ta' figger out komplecks ciphers an' them jiggery-pokery numerz an' stuff, like alla youse in Seattle.

Now, if'n youns'll 'skuze me, I gots to go feed th' chikenz........

#45 ·
You often see them at the MO/AR border, donning and doffing their fake-DOT-stickered salad bowls, as MO does have a helmet law. (but they just "softened" it to a secondary offense)

AR has the 21 and under law, and they also made it illegal for any child under 7 to ride pillion.

#46 ·

KPaul, I have no idea WTF you said; I could not make heads nor tails of whatever you're trying to regurgitate from some site you've Googled.

Would you kindly repeat the observation in English? Or simply supply the site URL, and paragraph numbers you're attempting to cite.

Thank You.

#48 ·
You're Right!

Those Damn Demoncrats!

#49 ·
Apparently your cruiser is incapable of speeds greater than 10 mph. OK, don't see why you would wear a helmet then. Apparently you are driving a HD. For the rest of us who RIDE a metric cruise capable of speeds much faster than HD's, and have a brain in our heads, we wear helmets.

#50 ·
Re: Nonsense part 2

jesus. I've forgotten more about physics than you'll ever know. as usual, you have used a lot of misspelled words to say nothing.

I look forward to your next run-on-sentence, latin-abbreviation-ridden lecture on mechanical impedance matching, and helmets, and why that proves longride sucks, or whatever. Go on, scurry off and look it up.

#51 ·
Re: Nonsense part 2

I just wanted him to know that he was losing an "argument" (if you could call it that) to an Uneducated, Gap-toothed (but the gap IS smaller these days!), Stumpfcuk-Hill-Scoggin Idiot (me!).

I used to give the benefit of a doubt whenever I read and replied to his posts.

Now, he's just a tackling dummy.

The sad thing is; he probably IS some poor schlub's Stupidvisor - he's unlikely to be lying about that, as he holds-on to it so tightly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.