Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its not JUST Kryptonite...

IT's effectively ALL cylindrical-key locks. Kryptonite just happens to be the big name.

Whats worse, this is a problem which has been known for >10 years, but only recently has gotten publicity.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Kriptonite Lock Warning

Does this mean we can terrorize Harley owners with Bics?

Ha! It'd be great to be able to steal my neurotic buddy's V-Rod with a freakin' pen. He'd go nuts.

Yeah, I know it's only a bike lock we're talking about, but still, it's funny to consider the possiblities.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Funny, but for the last few months, I've been securing my old Kawasaki with the hollow shaft of a ballpoint pen; in the hopes someone will steal it. No such luck, so far only tickets for littering.

That's the nice thing about driving rat bikes, no one want to steal 'em.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

I'm with you. No one would ever touch my beat up old Magna. Especially if I park it next to Harleys as much as possible.

I almost picked up a '77 KZ1000LTD this week ($900 asking price with only 13K on it) but someone beat me to it. That'd be another bike to not worry about.

And I'd still be kicking Ninja 600 butt on the street.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Mad Max

Careful who you frighten in rural Utah... unless you want the sudden unintended acceleration via "rock sat boost".

·
Registered
911 Posts

You would think that this kind of news would create an uproar of frustration. I guess the American consumer is used to being screwed.

I spent hundreds of dollars on the damm things, only to find out that because of the flaws in their product and the publicity about the failure of it, all of us who depended on it have been duped!

Hey Kriptonite, how about a refund!!!

Yeah, that would be the day.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Great Scott!

Dear Motorcycle Online:

Personally, I'm pleased to find out that Kryptonite has a fatal weakness.

Sincerely,

Superman

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dunno... they say it works on the EV disc lock, but my friends and i spent over an hour and 3 bic pens trying to pick our locks, and nothing happened. still added a second giant padlock, though...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good information, thanks. I have a Xena alarm lock. Not good. It will not even fit on my "very exotic" Bandit 1200's front disk and it is a real struggle to get it on the rear disk. One of the last times I uesd it, it started beeping for no reason and resisted all my attempts to shut it off, even after I removed it from the disk. It beeped 'till the batteries went dead. Not recommended!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Xena as well, and have been relatively happy. The unstoppable beeping you refer to is actually a low battery condition. Replace the batteries and it should work normally again. That is the Xena's main weakness--it eats batteries. I'm lucky to get 1/2 a riding season out of a set, and I don't use the lock very often since I have a garage and a relatively safe place to park at work. The battery issue is made worse if you leave the lock out in the temperature extremes as I do. A 110 degree garage doesn't do your motorcycle or alarm batteries any favors.

Can't help you with the fitment problems...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Dig that Magna sound...

Fook'n eh. The KZ1000 was one fast mutha in the right hands. The LTD was kind of goofy though, with those big swept-back bars...and that stepped seat.

Once I parked next to a bunch of Harleys on Melrose in West LA...and after about 20 minutes, they actually moved all their Hogs! Ha ha...

I was watching the original Godzilla on the tube late the other night, and right before I passed out, I heard Raymond Burr yell "I MUST TALK TO DR. SERUZAWA!"

Now I know...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.