Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the headlight treatment is worse than the old one. Looks more Japanese now. I like the 3 vent slots on the lower fairing of the old ones. Turn signals are ugly too. I followed a beautiful red ST4 yesterday love the sound it makes. I think Ducati needs to fire their design staff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pierre penned the original ST as well. You'd be firing the same people. haha

Seriously, the new STs are decidedly less "sexy" than even the previous iteration, but at least they provide more wind protection and comfort. Some of the aftermarket fairings and windshields for the previous STs truly define ugly.

The new bike has gained two position handlebars. That combined with the exhaust system which still pivots up without the bags, you've got one sweet all-purpose ride.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
With each bike he designs (or re-designs) for Ducati, Pierre Terblanche continues to show us the meaning of genius...

Massimo Tamburini's genius.

·
Registered
40 Posts
>Looks more Japanese now...

I'm going to have to agree with KPaul on this one (and this is against my better judgement): the fairing treatment bears an uncanny resemblance to the Honda VFR 800, circa 2001. I think that Terblanche is driving Ducati down the same road that Willie G. did with Harley-Davidson...

·
Registered
40 Posts
>...Massimo Tamburini's genius.

Yes, but don't forget Miguel Galuzzi, who designed the Monster (as I ponder why Ducati has restyled every model in their line up save for that one)...

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Ugh! I'm not buying one

Ducati addressed current ST owner concerns and sadly made the bike ugly with that mis-matched fairing in the process (kinda like in the 80s when GM was sticking round endcaps on cars with old,square greenhouses).

1. New Seat

2. Better headlights (mine are awful)

3. Better ergos (adjustable bars are cool)

4. More wind protection

Too bad they cheaped out with that horrible upper fairing which doesn't match the bike's lines at all.

The aftermarket did it much better again. Check out www.ducatidesigns.com to see what the headlights should have looked like.

I guess a 2003 ST4s w/ABS is the way to go. Then I could just transfer over my seat, helibars and carbon fiber goodies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the new ST's. Not a huge departure, but then it seems that Ducati has decided that Sport Tourers aren't for the stylistically adventurous, so an evolutionary, almost Japanese approach shouldn't come as a surprise, I guess.

I think Terblanche is a hell of a designer. The heat he's taking is inevitable, I suppose, and kind of reminiscent of the crap that the new design head at BMW autos has been taking. Guess it ain't easy being a design visionary working for a company with a design history like Ducati (or BMW).

I like the new(ish) SuperSports, the 999 and, especially, the Multistrada. Not nuts on the front ends, but the rest of them are just outstanding, IMO. But it's the fact that the latter two are such practical steps forward that really sets Terblanche apart. No, he may not be the stylist that Massimo is/was, but he's designing better bikes, IMO.

In the long run, I think that's what will count.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pierre has brought a clear fresh vision to Ducati. For example, the 999 is truly a work of art. It's Ducati's equivalent of the Ferrari Enzo. Like the Enzo, the 999 has strange and unfamiliar lines that look odd on paper, yet fantastic in the flesh. Pierre's designs clearly bother the traditionalists, but not Ducati's bottom-line.

Massimo may be a genius, but he knows nothing of how to keep your arse cool in traffic. haha. That said, I am a big fan Massimo's post-Ducati work (http://www.buzzwordenabled.com/mv).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ducati Designs has it Going!

Buz, if you and KPaul can agree on this one, it's gotta be the majority opinion.....

that is, the new ST fairing is so marginal that it makes the mediocrity of the old one look OK.

Ducati Designs has a nice upgrade for the old one, though. And a well-thought-out site, too. MOfos who like Ducs should check it out.

I'm thinking about an ST for my second bike and have ridden the 4s a couple of times. I took my wife out on it and she said "Reminds me of your CBR1000F, but with a cool 'boom boom boom' from the engine," which from her is high praise indeed.

A couple of questions--

How is wind protection? OK for two-up trips? I'm a sportbike guy so my expectations of "comfort" are sorta minimal. The wife, however, expects a real seat and a grab rail, and enough room for her legs.

Has your 4s been reliable? This seems to be the big crapshoot with Ducs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not impressed with the looks of the new ST's, however the new ST3's motor is very impressive. I believe they raised compression over the former ST2 powerplant and have been able to get 102HP out of it. Gear ratios are the same as the SS, but with a taller rear sprocket (42 vs. 38).

The former ST2's motor beat out the 900SS by a couple of ponies, but this iteration really impresses. I believe Ducati is still basing this motor off of the original 907ie motor that the ST2 was based off of?

I'd love to see MO get their hands on a new ST3 - I'm sort of tired of only hearing about the ST4S (w/ or w/o ABS) - ST2's (and now ST3's) were the original and still the solid seller in the ST lineup.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: Ducati Designs has it Going!

I've got an ST4 (916 motor) rather than the 4s.

Wind protection is not the greatest however I installed one of those laminar lip gizmos that has helped quite a bit over stock. You'll need an electric vest when it gets cold. Check out www.powerletproducts.com and you can upgrade the stock outlet so you and the little woman can run vests.

Throw away the stock seat and get a Sargent. Helibars are a nice addition too.

The bike has been stone reliable. I've got 19,000 on mine and nothing has gone wrong. I bought it from a dealer so I purchased the extended warranty (until 2006) and I haven't made a claim yet. Currently I need a new clutch and chain but that's to be expected.

All my female passengers have loved it. There's nothing like the boom boom of a Duc (w/Fast by Ferraci pipes) under acceleration (or deceleration for that matter).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not bad, but shoulda had underseat exhaust ala...

R1100S and Futura. Ground clearance is then not a issue and both the BM and Aprilia have well designed pannier racks that are not an eyesore when the panniers are removed. Unlike the Duc ST racks. Very agricultural by comparison.

Redeigning the headlight addressed one of the STs flaws, shame they didn't addess the exhaust and pannier racks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And...the Futura still looks to be superior IMO...

and I'm hoping on the next iteration Aprilia at least replace the rear shock, goofy instruments and maybe the mirrors and it'd just about be perfect.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

Are you going to trade up to this model Buz? Which one is it that has the spendy valve adjustments I've heard about? I think it's the ST4S

I guess this 3 valve "L" head is the same engine they use in the Multi-Strada. I think Terreblanches designs look good myself the only thing I don't like is the way the pipe hangs so low under the engine. Given my habit of bounceing down logging roads on my street bikes I'm afraid it would get flattened real quick.

Other than that I'd take this anyday.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts

The 4 valve head (ST4 or ST4s)is generally more expensive.

The 3 valve motor is not the same in the Multistrada. The Multistrada is air-cooled 1000 DS motor.

The ST3 is liquid cooled and 992 cc.

I'm not going to trade up because I just don't see enough of a difference to justify it. I would like ABS but my Duc is paid for right now so I think I'll keep my money in the bank.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Out-of-Wedlock Child

Are the Italians and the Japanese having an affair and this is their out-of-wedlock child? I love the Italian bikes for their being just that -- "Italian." Someone please stop this affair before Ducati is no longer Ducati.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Other Sport Tourers with ABS?

I run hot and cold on the Duc ST series. One day I'm enthusiastic about the relative light weight, stomping twin and over all competence of the package. Then I remember the price and supposed maintnance costs, and I consider potential better options.

I think what keeps bringing me back is the ABS option on the ST4. I like the idea of ABS on a sport tourer. Bottom line, there aren't many other bikes that offer ABS and focus on the sport side of the equation. BMW models are about the same price with less power and more weight and the power assist feature on the RT strikes me as just plain ridiculous. The ST1300 is way heavy and too tourer for my tastes. The FJR is a very attractive option and running a very close second, but it might be just a little too portly and on the touring side of the equation. But, it very well may offer the best compromise. The only bike that seems relatively close in overall balance and appeal is the new VFR with ABS, but the VTEC gimmickery and the addition of linked brakes strikes me again as unnecessary masturbatory engineering (like the BMW).

So, at the end of the struggle, it winds up a toss up between the ST4 and FJR. Not sure how this one is going to pan out...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.