Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gosh - this should drive the Highway Man totally berserk. Nothing soils chaps worse than diesel, and lord only knows what sort of colorful neologisms he'll need to coin in order to appropriately villipend this development. "Glow-plug atrociteurs" has a nice ring to it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The purpose of the KLR diesel is to fulfill NATO demands. Everything that happens as a NATO operation that requires fuel burning engines (except aircraft of course) must be diesel, in order to increase supply efficiency.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That Ride article is quite good. I never realized the potential of diesel in a bike before. Lotus engineer speculated there could be a 1200 cc 9hp diesel bike with 160 ft/lbs of torque. Would sound strange and shred tires I bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, it's the same motor adapted to run on JP-8, the same fuel that goes into HMMWVs, F-18s and M-1 jet engined Abrahms tanks. The same fuel goes for all to cut down on logistics of acquiring, storing and dispensing multiple fuel types into (hopefully) the appropriate vehicle. Fog of war, and all that, you know......

·
Registered
77 Posts
This would be a very interesting engine. If my recollection is correct (it's late) the formula for horsepower is Torque (in pound-feet) X RPM / 5250 = HP. If that is correct and I did the math correctly, this engine would be turning under 300 RPM. Not bothering with decimal pints I get 160 X 295 / 5250 = 9HP. Sounds like some kind of industrial engine, it wouldn't shred a bicycle tire, sorry.

SlowBear

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
How about a Diesel CR500?

Somewhere in my stuff I have a brochure that shows a dieselized CR500 concept bike that was developed for the same set of requirements. This was done about 5 years ago and demonstrated at Quantico. Power output was in the 45-55 HP range, and obviously, would kick any dieselized KLR's butt. Interesting what our military product development yields.

FWIW, we are the only military power that doesn't make extensive use of motorcycles. All the European armies, and even the Canadians, have many motorcycles for dispatch, communications and scout duty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yup

Been reading about it for some time on the KLR list. The military has standardized on diesel fuel. They had to keep a few barrels of gasoline around for the recon/courier bikes which was a logicistical hassle, and the increased flammability of gasoline over diesel was considered an unnecessary risk.

Considering the KLR has always been about reliable, low-tech, low-end grunt and never about fast acceleration or horsepower, I don't think the bike sounds too bad.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: How about a Diesel CR500?

Our air force has a bunch of motorcycles. Really.

The forward controllers use them. They're the Air Force equivalent of special forces, travelling behind enemy lines to recon and target stuff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re:Marine can't shred tricycle tire

Really? According to tire manufacturers, the bikes that are hardest on tires are the ones with the highest torque to weight ratios.

I have some annecdotal evidence to support that: My supermotard barely makes 45 hp, but it shreds rear tires twice as fast as the street bikes I have owned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re:Marine can't shred tricycle tire

The supermotard style is particularly hard on tires, but I think the lack of a cush drive on most of 'em (KTM street models excepted) is also a major contributor. My CR250 makes 45 rwhp/32 lb-ft torque, and is downright abusive on tires. Or maybe that's my penchant for 4 and 5-gear hacks approaching slow corners...

And back on the topic...diesel bikes would make interesting commuter rides. I can't help thinking you'd smell rather strongly of diesel after a few miles on one, though.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Don't let the USDOT or EPA find out what kind of mileage these diesel bikes get. Or else we'll have mandated diesel road bikes by 2010.

Imagine CBXX's with 60HP and 220ft/lbs of torgue. Even your Honda GoldWing may become a wheelie king. All while gettinbg 74mpg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The spec sheet for the M1030M1 (and this is hardly news, by the way) is at

<a>http://www.drive.cranfield.ac.uk/rmcsbike.pdf</a>

Power output is rated at 24HP (18kW).

Someone mentioned the commuting possibilities: the specified range for the M1030M1 is 400 miles (650km) on less than 4 U.S. gallons (14 l) of fuel.

Staying on the commuting thread, there was an article posted here (not that you can find it now) recently about a hybrid motorcycle that used a direct injection diesel engine: more info at

http://www.ecycle.com/powersports/hybrid.htm

--

Davy

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.