Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A V-Rod Buell would canibalize V-Rod sales and put Harley even further behind in their efforts to move to a modern powerplant in their regular line-up. I think that we'll see a V-Rod motored Fat Boy before too long...

2slo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its too big and too heavy. It would not be a good Buell motor.

I don't feel like it needs a new motor, but that one has been brought up numerous times over on badweatherbikers.com with same result - not a good sportbike motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why do people keep asking this? Because Mr. Buell likes his bike the way it is. I've ridden one, and so do I. So have lots of other people. If all those people wanted such a bike, they could just buy a Japanese or Italian sportbike.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It was good enough for the superbike they fielded in AMA competition. Well almost good enough, they bombed. I will never forget DuHamel's face every time the piece of crap died, or Chandler's, or Russell's, or.....

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
No it wasn't. The superbike motor was developed here by a third party (that is right now helping another American motorcycle company). The design in the V-Rod was developed by Porshe. Both Buell and HD know that the motor is too heavy to be a true competitive sport motor. But they could (HD that is) develop a new breed of sport-tour oriented dressers for the "new" generation of riders coming up with the V-Rod motor.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Because the Buell was designed around the Sporty motor. Part of the attraction of the XB line is the tiny 52 inch wheelbase. The narrow angle air-cooled Vtwin allows for this. A twin with a wider V and a radiator would need a longer wheelbase.

Even the tiny MV Agusta Brutale wheelbase is 3 1/2 inches longer than the Buell.

There are plenty of unique products out there. If you don't like the Buell buy something else.

·
Registered
144 Posts
HD is going to make a v-rod powered dresser in the sometime-distant future. They have to do something to meet emmision regulations. They will not put that engine in a Buell. When the time comes that the draconian legislators make it so the Buell needs water cooling then that is when we will see it come out with the engine that the naysayers want.

THIS IS WHAT THR GREAT CLPROPHET PREDICTS. And yes, I know this is an excellent post due to the facts/data. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Why doesn't Buell produce a Firebolt with a V-Rod engine? That would be a kick to ride."

No, it wouldn't.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
No no no. Eric is wrong. Just because Buell outsells all the Italian manufacturers put together in the US is no reason to stay with his design. A whole lot of "experts" know what Eric should do and they have no problem telling him.... the same guys who said that the air-cooled long stroke engine was a guaranteed failure. You know. He should sell what everyone else is selling.

Listen to them... oh yeah!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Kick to Ride?

That bike would be longer, heavier and have less down-low torque.

It would gain 50-75 pounds along with the 15-19hp. So an air-cooled Buell would be pushing 5 pounds per hp, and a liquid-cooled one, 4.7, unless Buell really souped-up the VR motor. Still, no matter how powerful, a VR Buell would be too heavy for Erik. Also, the VR motor would add expense, expense Buell would have to take from their sweet suspension, frame and brakes. That thunderstorm motor is designed to be inexpensive to build, yet still have sufficient performance. It makes more torque than a 999 Ducati and will wheelie a bike as good as anything on the market. How much power do you need to have fun?

I often hear this question from folks who have never ridden a Buell recently or ever. I never hear it from Buell owners.

Buell and Ducati are similar companies. Both companies trade heavily on their air-cooled, V-twin heritage, and both companies have limited production. Ducati is limited by space constraints to 38,000 units a year; in practice they usually build around 30,000. Buell makes about 10,000 units and that seems to make them happy.

Because of small production numbers, both factories can make what THEY want to build, not what the mass-market of consumers want. They sell everything they make. Why should they build a product they don't want to build?

-Gabe

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My God what an awfull idea. A revvy small displacement engine has no place in a Fat Boy. Pure plasphemy. In fact that engine does not suit V-Rod itself all that well either, Buell would be much appropriate match.

Since I seem to be only one who understands anything about cruising, let me tell you what Fat Boy needs. It needs towering torq from idle, 100 hp on the rear wheel and smooth delivery up to 10,000 rpm. In other words it needs a Valk engine.

- cruiz-euro

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
You're just pulling my leg. I've seen the Tuono and it doesn't have a bathtub for a radiator.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Sure, they are. How else do you account for Harley's plummeting sales?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.