Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I think it had more to do with after a person takes the $10K vaseline tax they dont want it to blow up the same week. Everyone Ive seen has been marked to at least $25k on the Stealers floor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What three things do a Harley and a dog have in common?

1. They like to shake themselves dry.

2. They mark their territory everywhere they go.

3. They both like to ride in the back of pick up trucks.

Harley guys take heart, your V-Rod engine will never wear out riding to Daytona or Sturgis in the back of the pick-up. Don't worry about it, you'll look damn cool standing next to it.

Don't worry be happy,

Dave

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not just Harley

To be fair, my Suzuki had a ton o' recalls, the Goldwing 1800 had one (maybe more which is why I waited to buy the 2002 model year), the R1 had a recall re. something to do with the clutch etc etc. I'm not into Harleys, but I also will not pretend that other makes are faultless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Not just Harley

I am with you lets leave Harley alone. When everthing else in this country is now made in China they are still an American icon. I wish them luck. On the the other hand I cannot fathom why some of the Harley riders are such pricks. I personally ride a Triumph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: V-Rod Recall information - resale value

Wonder what the resale value of the recalled bikes will be now, especially considering that they all probably sold for a minimum of $23,000?

Maybe now, the V-Rod Fever will subside, and people will come to their senses and stop paying the stupid dealer markups for this bike. I never believed the bike was worth more than $15,000 anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Come on, Give them a break?

Break-In or Break-It? Damaged during load testing? I am breaking-in my 2002 R1100SBX. Strictly told no revs past 4 grand before the 600 mile service and then slowly raise the limit after that. I am sure Porsche gave specific instructions on how to load test their motor. Something just got lost in the translation. More power to you Harley....or should I say more reliability to you.

Side to luvmyvfr. Are you still looking for a new bike? Have you ridden an R1100S? It's comfortable like the VFR, but a lot less complicated with 100 hp and big twin torque and the Boxer Cup weighs about the same. Just a thought.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This impacted a total of 155 engines and was caught before any customer complaints. How many manufacturers will do that?

Pretty much every manufacturer has recalls, as noted above. How many recalls on the cam chain for the 'busa alone?

Someone else cited the bearing problem in the early TC88 engines. The design was changed in less than a year to fix the problem, and customer bikes were supposed to have been fixed at no charge.

Then again, it is human psychology to accept data that fits our world view and reject data that doesn't. Those that think all Harleys suck will see this as further evidence to back their belief. Just like those that love Honda, for example, see recalls on the Gold Wing as Honda's effort to do things right.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a V-Rod. But this information does not make me doubt the overall quality of the motorcycle.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My '91 Suzuki GSX-1100G came with a couple of very serious problems. The fork springs were so weak that the fork would bottom during even mild braking, this without the optional fairing. Also the carburetion had very serious problems that can be fixed, but the owner had to do the fix himself. Suzuki refused to do anything at all about these problems. Other problems included, crappy starting circuit cutout switches (making it impossible to start the bike so finally you just bypass the switches a) and centerstands collapsing. Suzuki's official statement to owners was "Too bad, there are no recalls on this model."

Remember the Yamaha 750 twins of the 80's with the selfdestructing center crank bearings? Or the incredibly crappy Kawasaki KZ400/440? Or how about the "wonderful" Yamaha R5/RD350 series with the 500 mile spark plug life? (Mine would eat a plug every 200-300 miles). And How about the serious transmission problems on the R5/RD series? (Mine chewed 5th gear.) None of these problems were ever recalled. So much for Japanese omniscience.

And as far as the reputation for HD owners being pricks goes, I've noticed that these insult matches on MO are always started by the HD haters. In my 30 odd years of biking I've met more arrogant sportbike pricks and hoity-toity BMW pricks than you can shake a stick at. I've yet to see an insult match on MO that was started by the HD guys. Guess who the REAL pricks are.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.