Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Better than expected

The H-D/Buell dealer where I moonlight just got their 1st V-Rod in 2 days ago. I have to say that the bike is MUCH more impressive in person than it is in pictures. Even the Hell's Angels guys think it's awesome.

They really did their homework with this one. What a looker! Now, if only they'd stick that motor in a Buell chassis.....

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Even Squids can appreciate performance. That and knowing Porsche was involved helps set minds at ease. I think almost everybody loves Porsche. Finally a Harley I would consider owning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
YAWN......pleeeeeeze. If this was a Honda, no one would give a rat's a$$ about it's debut at the stealer. Just another overpriced boat anchor to make noise with for those with large bankrolls. Its not original it is just a worldwide shocker that H/D created something "new". Ever seen a VMAX? wow what a stretch, how ingenious, a V-twin VMAX...oooh...that's inginuity. Just the fact that the VROD doesn't look like a 50's antique is a stretch in and of itself. Welcome to 1985....it's a bit late but at least you showed up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
over priced & hyped crap for idiots...

this thing needed help from Porsche... Porsche needed help from Toyota for QC & productions...

Evolution, Revolution... oh please give it up HD

welcome to the 80's !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exactly! I'll bet that after it's all done with, none of those guys spent $25k on thier respective bikes. I am halfway there and I am in for about $10k. This includes the bike, usd forks & triples, NOS, custom 17in wheels and radial rubber, misc. body parts, exaust, tuning,and paint. As well as a wealth of other mods that will make it a show piece. One cany even buy a decent H/D w/o spending $10k just for a bare bones ride. Sorry I aint buyin' it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What you say may be true, but what is the resale value on your bike say 20 years after it was made? The average retail listed by the AMA and NADA books listed my 1984 Softail at $500 ABOVE what I paid for it in 1984.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh yeah while I'm at it, how much effort went into copying the MAX? They couldn't even give the thing an original name..."VROD"...hmmm...how creative. Hey Willie G, I've had numerous H/D riders ask me if in fact my silver MAX was the "new" Vrod, How's it feel to know that a bike who's design is 16 years old is mistaken for your latest greatest acheivement. This is despite the big 2"x6" Yamaha logo on the scoops. Don't rely on an educated consumer base do ya? That explaines a lot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are a whole lot of '85 Maxxes out there selling for around what was paid in '85. I'll conceed that the resale is contingent on modifications. A bone stock 85 v-max is worth about 5k if it's in good condition. I bought mine in 99, it was 2 yrs old with 5k mi. on it. I payed $7200. If I had done nothing to it I could sell today for about the same. It is heavily modified now so this is moot. 12k and it's yours. Dealer wants $10,500 for an '01. That is it in a nutshell, for less than $10,000, one can buy, ride, customise, and own one of the baddest bikes out there, why spend more for less? Unless you're into throwing money away. Throw some my way so I can finish my....hmmmm.....need a name......ok....VMAXROD....sounds original huh?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Better than expected

I've heard between $22K and $30K. Anyone who pays over list is insane; I'd love to own a road-glide at list or less, but giving a dealer MORE for the "priviledge" of owning a Harley is just beyond me.

There'd be no gouging if people weren't stupid enough to be gouged.

I've owned and loved two Buells, but I'd hot-rod a VMax anyday before paying the gouge price for a VRod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw one, Tuesday have a dealer up the street from work.

I was leaving about noon and the mechanic was fueling it up at the gas station. looked pretty neat actually even though I am not a cruiser rider.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Each to their own I think. It's all subjective...

However, I do wonder that if it had any other name on the tank, in the same spec and at the same price, whether it would appeal as much?? As a bike, including all style and 'feel good' stuff, could it compete if it didn't come from Milwaukee?

What do others think?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.