Motorcycle Forums banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
waaah.....go get a tissue and stop your whining. I have ridden many a H/D and I must say I don't get it. Big, fat, slow, lumbering hulks of iron that would be better suited mooring ships at sea. Let's not bring affordability into the picture, I wouldn't spend $3,000 on a timex, so why would you spend it on a chrome plated Briggs and Stratton?

Hey buddy, wanna buy a watch?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Depreciation isn

I do not know how many miles it has; the speedometer was broken when I got it. But it can jump over a 15ft wide driveway, do 30+ft wheelies, can chase cows, go through axle deep mud, has good enough suspension to go 60mph across a hayfield, and cost me all of $200.00 (Yes, $200.00). I could go on, but it is clear that the qualities I appreciate in a motorcycle differ greatly from yours. I do not care about doubling speed limits, or what women think. I just ride because I love to.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey Todd, i put several thousand miles on a 98 FXD that is very custom, and a 2000 Road King with the 95 inch big bore kit on it, both are very tricked out, the lesser one costing 27 grand. No, they aren't mine, but they are mine to ride whenever i want to. But you know what? My $7,000 bandit is much, MUCH more fun to ride, and is MUCH more comfortable, out of a 88 Goldwing, a 2000 roadking, and my 2001 B12s, i was the only one to complete the Iron Butt we just went on without feeling sore after. Oh yeah, the powerband on my 1200 is larger than the entire RPM band that any twincam has. more HP all the way through, and more torque through 75% of the range.

Oh, and your "superior" comment.......how is a harley superior? Ok, ok, i know you probably ride maybe 2,000 miles a year, and wouldn't know a highside from a front end push, but what makes them superior??

Is it the cheap ass suspension that barely works? The laughable brakes? The flexing chassis? The wheezing motor?

Personally, i like the Company, but i think their products up until recently have sucked. Oh, if only they could go back to the glory days, where competition bred their street machines, when tradition was to win, not to look like old bikes. Harley has lost itself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All that's necessary is that...

you can buy a bike that is unique to your specs from the factory (some Harley models you can get pretty close to that but it takes a long time). I suspect the V-Rod is NOT one of those because you probably have to take whatever you can get if you want to get one at all given the demand!

There are lots of "custom" bike shops that will build a unique bike for you (don't have to do any of the work yourself). So what's the differences if the factory does that for you instead? It's still a custom long as it's done just for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Re: All that

There are some cars you can order from the factory to your specifications. But they really aren't customs. They all pretty much use OEM parts. I think a real custom is something that has had extensive aftermarket work done (or was build ground up) to one's exact specifications. Big Daddy Roth made customs. I'm still not convinced that HD does.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: All that

Point taken, "custom" is one of those totally vague and ambiguous words that has to be taken in context. If you special-order a Ford Taurus just the way you want it, it could theoretically be the only one like it in the world and it is definitely called a "custom" order. BUT is any Ford Taurus straight from the factory a "custom" car? To most people I have to agree it wouldn't be --to the owner maybe it is if he/she wants to think of it that way.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Well you all missed the point again. This will make 100 comments on this thread. Check all the other "news" stories and see how many comments they got. Emotions, like I said at the thread starter. That is what makes and sells motorcycles people. You can spout HP and torque figures out your butts, but EMOTIONS are what motorcycles are all about. Harley still does it best and has the rest catching up. Harley does it with sight, feel, sound that is all it's own and can't be cheated or copied. No matter if you love em or hate em, they stir EMOTIONS in us. Maybe when other mfgs quit making em 3 lbs lighter and 3 mph faster every year and shift the focus on unique and different machines will we enter a new era. So if any of you are panting outside your Kawasaki dealer, just WAITING to get your hands on that MEAN STREAK which was the "winner" of yet another "shootout-comparo-road test-combat", I believe you will find yourself in a company of exactly one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't agree that the MeanStreak admirer will be all alone but do agree (because it's overwhelmingly obvious from simple statistics) that MORE Americans have their emotions stirred by what HD has to offer. What I don't understand is, if HD detractors are NOT motivated by jealousy, what compels them to want to feel superior to those who ride Harleys (I don't own one currently but respect the decision of anybody who does). Their numbers include billionaires, senators, movie stars, and a huge number of educated professionals in addition to the ordinary working guys who scrimp and save for years to own one. The truly sleazy bikers have always been know as one-percenters because that's exactly what they are, a tiny percentage. Why some other motorcyclists have to put Harleys and Harley riders down is something I've never understood. "We must all ride together or we will all be walking separately."

·
Registered
2 Posts
The V-Rod seems pretty cool . . . it's got some balls, it's got pretty fashionable muscle cruiser styling, shaft drive, liquid cooled, minimal fuel capacity. At 140 mph for the top end, it's just as fast as my Yami XJ700N. Sure beats the price tag of an '85 XJ. $17,000 as compared to $1400. Probably handles as well as my XJ.

In fact, if I was willing to drop that kind of dough on a new bike, wouldn't I be better off to get a V-Max and pocket the difference (about $6000)?

The big question is: Which one is more American made? Yamaha builds their bikes in the U.S., don't they?

Just asking, that's all.

truly,

-theDartman

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.